Charlie15256 Charlie15256
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 17/11 22:12
platy wont eat #1
i have one female platy and she refuses to eat anything (she cant be pregnant she is alone). i can see that she is hungry but whenever give her food she goes straight for it but she always just spits it back out and doesn't touch it again. ive tried flakes, pellets and bloodworms. she ate a tiny bit of bloodworm but that is all. this has been going on for three to four days now and im geting worried that she is going to starve
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 18/11 13:12
Re: platy wont eat #2
You could try:
* feeding some veg for some variety (eg pea, shell off, each half chopped into tiny morsels);
* soaking the food in garlic juice to stimulate appetite;
* Hikari First Bites (powdery food) - if you release it into the water near your platy, she'll inevitably ingest at least some of it [I feed this to my fish when they are in old age and have trouble finding or chewing their food].

Let us know how she gets on with these or if the situation changes in any way, and we'll try to help further. Presumably you've checked water to ensure 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, and that your nitrates aren't more than 20 above tap water levels? Impaired water quality is often the cause of problems.
Charlie15256 Charlie15256
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 19/11 17:28
Re: platy wont eat #3
Quote:

fcmf wrote:
You could try:
* feeding some veg for some variety (eg pea, shell off, each half chopped into tiny morsels);
* soaking the food in garlic juice to stimulate appetite;
* Hikari First Bites (powdery food) - if you release it into the water near your platy, she'll inevitably ingest at least some of it [I feed this to my fish when they are in old age and have trouble finding or chewing their food].

Let us know how she gets on with these or if the situation changes in any way, and we'll try to help further. Presumably you've checked water to ensure 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, and that your nitrates aren't more than 20 above tap water levels? Impaired water quality is often the cause of problems.

i tried some tubifex cubes today and she seems to be eating those. i dont think she can survive on only tubifex but its a start. she will only eat it if i break it up. size of the food seems to be an issue but not the main issue. i will try garlic juice soon. thanks for your reply. ill update you on the situation if there are any further developments.