Benjamin Benjamin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/11 10:53
Water quality #1
Good morning all.

Another novice question from a beginner.
Made my homework regarding the water chemistry (my head is spinning) and am ready to start and play (in a small way until the big one arrives).

The water company information for my area is:
PH - 6.9-7.6 (mean 7.1)
KH - 17.9GD
GH - 320ppm
Alkalinity - 230HCO3/L (what's that?)
Fluoride - 0.106mg/L (trace?)

My understanding is that the water is alkaline which means that all fish that needs acidic water will not survive unless I add RO water that will reduce the GH and if I understand correctly the PH will also goes down, is it correct? Is there anything else that you can see and I can't?

Thank you

Ben
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/11 15:40
Re: Water quality #2
When deciding upon suitable stock/fish, the water softness/hardness is far more important than PH - you should choose fish whose requirements meet the ppm/CaCO3 or German degrees hardness range (as the PH is of secondary importance). Usually, hard water and alkaline PH go hand-in-hand, and soft water and acidic PH, but not always (eg lots of Scotland). The profiles on seriouslyfish.com specify the range in ppm or German degrees hardness required by different fish - so best to opt for those that match your water.

If you're adamant that you would like to keep soft-water fish, then, for their short- and long-term health, RO would be a viable means of doing that - (and it does reduce PH but that aspect shouldn't really matter as it's of secondary importance).

Alkalinity - good explanation in this https://fishlab.com/aquarium-kh/
Benjamin Benjamin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 9/11 22:19
Re: Water quality #3
Thanks very much.
Last night I have created an Excel file for 35 potential fish, will amend it by using the provided links.

Thanks again.
Benjamin Benjamin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 18/11 19:47
Re: Water quality #4
Hello again.

I have started to cycle my quarantine tank with Bio Boost made by Aqua Care. I have followed the instructions and added 1.5 cap of Bio Boost on days 2 and 3, but what do I do now? Wait for the Ammonia and Nitrite to go to '0'? There are no fish in the tank.

Today (day 4) I checked the water and had the following:
PH - 8
Ammonia - 0.2
Nitrite - 1.0
Temp. - 28c.

I have also planted several plants, among them Egeria Densa, however with in a week the Egeria Densa
have started to rot and today I removed them.
They were planted with the anchors and Aqua Care's Plant Gro fertilizer was added, what have I done wrong?

Thank you
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 18/11 23:46
Re: Water quality #5
Have you added any ammonia?
Benjamin Benjamin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 19/11 20:38
Re: Water quality #6
No Ammonia was added. I assumed that the Bio Boost has it.
Benjamin Benjamin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 28/11 21:49
Re: Water quality #7
Just found and read your article about the fishless aquarium cycling, I was so pleased to realise that I was a 'bit' correct as I have used food to produce the ammonia but I hope that today I didn't make a fatal mistake.

I have tested the water and had '0' level of ammonia and level '8' (dark pink, kit by AquaCare) of nitrite, (I don't have a kit for nitrate as the shop said that I don't need it). Based on the above I cleaned the tank and the filter's sponge in old aquarium water and have chanced about 50% of the water, added bacteria liquid and have thrown in more food.

Have I damaged the cycle? If I haven't is the aquarium ready for some hardy fish (like Danios)?

Thank you
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/11 22:57
Re: Water quality #8
You need to keep redosing ammonia until both ammonia and nitrite return to 0, 24 hours after dosing.
Benjamin Benjamin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 29/11 10:35
Re: Water quality #9
Thank you Fishlady.

Can't get ammonia not for love nor for money. Asked for it at Boots and was treated as I am a terrorist. A week ago I have ordered a bottle on Amazon but it won't be with me until next week.

I have arranged for the coffee, what cake is in the oven?

Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 29/11 17:18
Re: Water quality #10
Thanks fo r the coffee! No cake today, but I did bake an apple crumble for pudding today