Benjamin Benjamin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/11 0:39
Filters? #1
Hello.

I am a new member of the forum and this is my first post, so please be gentle

My wife and I are looking to buy a 400ltr. tank, we would like to have a community tank with plants at different height with some rocks laying around.

Over 30 years ago I had a 120ltr. aquarium which I have built myself, then I knew nothing and had no one to ask (the shop was happy to sell), stuck any pretty fish in the tank (e.g Cardinals in hard water) and didn't understand why they die, so for the last month I read and study the water chemistry, type of fish, suitability of individual fish to the mix we want, to the water type and during the last days I search for information about plants suitability. What I miss is information about equipment.

Reading the many previous posts I found some that helped lots (this guy is heading the same way as we do https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... wtopic.php?topic_id=40196 ) yet, there is one question that I hope to have a more pointed answer to. I don't want internal filter, actually, I don't want any internal item other than thermometer, this leave me with two options:
1. External filter
2. Sump.

I have gathered that the sump is the easiest and most flexible filter to have, but how do I set it up? Where do I insert the UV light? what prevent the water to over flow? Is it a close/sealed box? Does it come with check/no return/one way valves? What filter media is the best and is it wise to fit a mash on the intake pipe to prevent food/plant matter from reaching the pump and filter media?

Thanks for your help.

Ben
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/11 7:48
Re: Filters? #2
I haven't used a sump on any of my tanks, but there's a good article from Practical Fishkeeping magazine here: https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk ... asked-questions-on-sumps/

However, if you're intending to keep community fish then on a 400-litre tank one or possibly two canister filters will easily cope - I run my 6ft tank on two large externals.
Benjamin Benjamin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/11 19:51
Re: Filters? #3
Thank you. Will do the reading.

Ben