N-HoneyGourami N-HoneyGourami
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 19/10 6:37
Honey chasing baby keyhole #1
I got 2 keyhole’s on Friday.

Sunday I noticed the largest honey gourami chasing not just the other female Honey Gourami but my baby female keyhole who is smaller than her.

Tanks consists of male and female keyhole who are about 3cm, 4 honey gourami 1 male 3 female, and 4 male platys. 125 litre U3 filter.

The keyholes were always together for the first 1.5 days, but since gaining more confidence to explore on their own the Honey has taken advantage to bully her when alone.

I’m annoyed as now if the male keyhole swims behind her she darts away whereas before I maybe had the beginning of a pairing - although not sure if too young, might have just been juveniles sticking together. Female heyhole is nervous now, whereas male gained confidence quickly.

Was it too early for them to be pairing at 3cm? How can I stop the honey being a bully? It’s the larger honey in the middle of the tank to the left of the screen at the beginning.

Happy to reorganise the tank if it might be a territory thing, have stones to add and would like more plants. Have to nip this in the bud now.

Someone also mentioned that I need to fully stock the tank sooner. I’ve been building up slowly but can get the rest of my fish quicker if it might help. Going to get emerald eyespot rasbora or glowlight harlequin (probably eyespot) and my friend has a 4 inch fully grown bristlenose pleco he’s giving me (I have a U4 filter I’ll be moving existing media to at some point).

Thanks

NB: tried to upload video but can’t. Any suggestions?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/10 7:46
Re: Honey chasing baby keyhole #2
The best way may be to remove the bully while you rearrange the tank, increasing the number of hiding places and sight-breaks, and then reintroduce him.

3cm is too young for a pairing, and to be honest, in keyholes, is too young to determine the sex of the fish with any reliability. The differences don't show until they're adult and then are minor - males a little larger than females and with long fin extensions on the dorsal and anal fins.
N-HoneyGourami N-HoneyGourami
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 19/10 8:17
Re: Honey chasing baby keyhole #3
Thank you. How long can I keep the Honey out in a 40 litre flexitub? Can’t fill it to the top incase she jumps!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/10 9:15
Re: Honey chasing baby keyhole #4
Just a couple of hours while you do the job, as long as the room is warm. I'd put something across the top of the container if you think she might jump.