Wildtrack95 Wildtrack95
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 4/9 13:59
What to do next? #1
Hi everyone!

Hopefully, someone can advise me on what I should do next. I got 2 fancy tail goldfish. When I bought them, one had the beginnings of fin rot so he was put straight into quarantine and spent a little while in there. That all cleared up and I was able to move him into the main tank with his friend that I bought with him.

Moving on a little bit, I had a spike in my ammonia in the main tank. I soon got that under control but I'm not sure if this is related to the cause of the problem. A few days after I noticed on the fish that I had originally quarantined, it looked to be an ulcer on his side. Moved him to quarantine again and started treating with salt baths but even with this, it gradually got worse. He then caught what I diagnosed as a fungal infection. At this point I increased the level of salt slightly and started applying crushed rock salt to the wound directly once a day.

2 weeks later the fungal infection has gone and what I believed to be the ulcer is now reducing in size.

Should I continue applying the salt daily along with the salt baths until the wound is completely gone or should I now keep him in quarantine and see how he goes? Picture attached is him now.

Thanks everyone!

Attach file:

jpg  23394_5f523a1be0632.jpg (372.07 KB)
23394_5f523a1be0632.jpg 2861X2664 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/9 15:44
Re: What to do next? #2
Lovely fish. :)
I think, on the basis that this is hopefully clearing up, I would:
* keep him in the quarantine tank for another week or so without any more salt treatment but ensure that water quality is 0/0/<20 ppm for ammonia/nitrite/nitrates respectively *and* do daily water changes of ~10% (more if required to keep water quality at levels I mention);
* then:
** if further improvement and once fully healed for at least a few days, move him back to main tank;
** if no further improvement and much the same, let us know, show us a photo, and we'll advise further;
** if deterioration, try treating with eSHa 2000 which addresses finrot/ulcers/fungus [NB always worth having this treatment to hand so, if you order it now, you should be able to start treating immediately if situation deteriorates NB ensure no carbon/zeolite in quarantine tank filter if you do use medication].
Hope that helps.
Wildtrack95 Wildtrack95
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/9 15:59
Re: What to do next? #3
Ok, thank you for your help, I will post again if it gets worse.

Thanks again :)