(1) 2 »
Fishyfishfish Fishyfishfish
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 30/8 10:43
Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #1
Hi there

What would be the best recommendations please for a Aqua One oakstyle 85l tank?

I had 11 Harelquin Rasbora in there but they were very nervous and would start freaking out every time I approached the tank; they're now in my 125l and are much better for it as they don't seem as bothered by me or the other fish.

I have bog wood and gravel in the 85l and the filter is a Eheim experience 150.

Any thoughts?
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 30/8 14:51
Re: Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #2
Anyone?

Looking for timely replies here as I've got a couple days off before going back to work so ideally I'd like to get the tank stocked Wednesday.

I forgot to mention pH is 8 and gH is around 14.

Many thanks
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/8 17:38
Re: Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #3
Quote:

Fishyfishfish wrote:
Anyone?
Looking for timely replies here

We do our best to respond as soon as we possibly can but please appreciate that there aren't many users on here nowadays and we do this voluntarily in our own time around other aspects of our lives, and may not always have the capacity to respond.
For German degrees hardness 14 or 250 CaCO3/ppm, I'll have a think and reply when I can.
Edited to add: I've had a look and see that its footprint is 45x38cm which will restrict your choice considerably. You would be *just* within range of celestial pearl danios (90-268ppm) or a male betta (18-268ppm), though.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 31/8 15:39
Re: Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #4
Another option suitable for your tank dimensions and water hardness, besides the CPDs or betta - dwarf puffer fish: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/ ... otetraodon-travancoricus/
Clearly, your choice would need to be one of these 3 options rather than any combination but hopefully this is helpful.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 31/8 19:48
Re: Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #5
Ah apologies; I'm too impatient and certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. I have seen it's quieter around these parts lately, which is a shame because, considering the expertise on offer, I would have thought people would be begging for advice.

I have decided on a male Betta, though I believe the cycle may have stalled on the tank because the ammonia I added had not been 'eaten' which is a pain - for the past 24 hours it's barely come down from 1ppm so I may need to add some media from the main filter to get this back into shape. I added a dose of beneficial bacteria to try and help speed things along but I don't think it's worked. I will check in the morning and go from there.

Many thanks.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 1/9 15:02
Re: Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #6
That's ok - apologies accepted. :) Most forums are a lot quieter these days - but this one's comparatively busy, and I, for one, unfortunately wouldn't be able to help out more than I already struggle to do as it is. One rationale given is that folk are using the wealth of info contained in them and searching/finding their answers from previous threads these days. It may be, like many things, that they dip in and out of fashion.

Great news that you've made a decision. A betta will be lovely and I'm sure you'll appreciate its interactive nature. All the very best with your cycling 'conclusion'. Keep us posted, ideally with a photo of your new betta once settled in.
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 3/9 18:24
Re: Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #7
Well, new Betta is in the tank and I fear something is wrong already.

Long story short I ordered it from a place called Masterfisch, which I thought was located in the UK at least, but it turns out they are in France. The parcel only just arrived literally an hour ago, after travelling through Germany and, finally into the UK, after being posted out yesterday.

Unfortunately they didn't include the promised acclimatization 'kit' that's supposed to be in with each order, so I've been using a dropper to slowly add my water into the bag. Anyway I've now put the fish in the tank and it's struggling with buoyancy. It was on the gravel on its side, so there is definitely something amiss here.

Is it possible I've shocked it when putting it into the tank?
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 4/9 15:33
Re: Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #8
Sorry to read about this.
I don't think you've "shocked" the betta as you did a gradual acclimatisation process with a dropper, which is always the best approach. It might be that the existing water that he travelled in had a lot of ammonia built up in it, though - so I'd focus on ensuring that water quality in the tank is gradually altered over the course of the day to 0/0/<20 ammonia/nitrite/nitrates (or as close as possible nitrates to this). [I'm suggesting 'gradually', in the event that the water he came in is in the tank and of very different hardness to your own water.]
Whether or not he's still alive, and I sincerely hope he is, I would still contact https://www.masterfisch.co.uk/faqs/Reception-of-my-order.html about the situation (and the acclimitisation kit not having turned up).
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 4/9 19:40
Re: Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #9
Thanks for your response fcmf.

Firstly, he's still alive and he is a handsome chap he really is but he does seem to act strangely at times. I've never had a betta before so I may be wrong but I've got a photo that I will attach that shows him pointed downwards with his tail wrapped around the intake. He stayed there for a couple minutes then swam away though so I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid, but it did seem odd.

I will test the tank now; I've been working all day or I would've done it sooner, but I'm trying to keep the water quality as good as I can.

I'm disappointed with Masterfisch overall I must say. Though they never at any point stated they ship from within the UK, the address on the website does say London. They used UPS for delivery but the stupid thing is it took the same amount of time for the package to travel through France and Germany as it did the parcel to arrive here from the point it entered the UK (about 10 hours for each)!

I kind of blame myself for doing it to begin with though I suppose and I'm annoyed they never included the acclimitisation kit, and will let them know about it as you rightly say.

I look forward to any advice you can give.

Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  21565_5f5288b18309e.jpg (1,824.94 KB)
21565_5f5288b18309e.jpg 4032X3024 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Posted on: 5/9 16:03
Re: Hard water tropicals for 85 litre tank #10
He's incredibly handsome! Such a strong, vibrant colour.

That behaviour does seem strange, although glad he was only like that for a couple of minutes. I know bettas have various querks, though, and often like to go somewhere for a rest, so perhaps that was his best option - other options, and so that they can more easily access the water surface to breathe, include https://zoomed.com/betta-bed-leaf-hammock/ or https://zoomed.com/floating-betta-log/

I had a look at Masterfisch the other day after you mentioned it - you're correct in that the website gives the implication that they're shipped from the UK but not specifically stating it. The name sounds / is spelt the German way, so I expect it has links with Germany - I have no idea whether this accounts for the convoluted journey he took. I'm a bit surprised at UPS being the couriers, though - take a look at https://www.ups.com/gb/en/help-center/ ... ort/prohibited-items.page which explicitly states live animals. As far as I'm aware, only APC couriers is DEFRA-registered for the transportation of live animals.