(1) 2 »
Paul200 Paul200
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/8 22:21
Stocking ideas very hard water and square tank #1
Hi, First post so please be gentle . After a few years away I have made the move back to keeping fish. In the past I used to have a 300ltr tank with Cichlids. Now to my problem. My new tank is only 71cm across , 50cm deep and 62cm high (200ltrs approx ). My PH is between 7.9-8.2 and my DGH is about 34. I do not want to keep the normal guppies ect. I know that my water is made for African cichlids but the only ones I feel would fit would be shell dwellers and they would only cover the bottom half of the tank leaving most of the tank empty . Can anyone think of some fish I might be missing ?

Attach file:

jpeg  23384_5f4975327b7e1.jpeg (35.27 KB)
23384_5f4975327b7e1.jpeg 898X898 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/8 23:18
Re: Stocking ideas very hard water and square tank #2
Some of the smaller rainbowfishes would work: Celebes rainbowfish - Marosatherina ladigesi, Forktail blue eyes rainbowfish - Pseudomugil furcatus. Also just about room for a pair of Empire gudgeon - Hypseleotris compressa. Another option is Paradise fish - Macropodus opercularis or there are a few different species of ricefish - Oryzias celebensis, Oryzias javanicus, Oryzias dancena, Oryzias latipes.
Paul200 Paul200
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 29/8 8:00
Re: Stocking ideas very hard water and square tank #3
Thanks for that. I had not heard about rice fish before. I will certainly be looking at the Celebes and the Empire gudgeon. The only rice fish which seem to be readily available are the Daisys Ricefish. Am I correct in thinking they are more a softwater fish ? A couple of other ideas American Flag Fish and or Gold/Pearl Gourami. Any thoughts on those ?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/8 9:41
Re: Stocking ideas very hard water and square tank #4
Daisy's rice fish are more soft/medium water so not really suitable. There are a few sellers on eBay offering Oryzias latipes eggs at the moment if you fancy hatching and growing them yourself (I just bought some, coincidentally).

Gold or any of the three other spot variants would work (blue, opaline, and others) although the tank length is a bit short so I'd go for a solo gourami with some other, smaller fish as they are territorial and two or more may just fight all the time in the limited space.

American Flag fish doesn't really do well in water as hard as yours - 20 dGh is about the limit.
Paul200 Paul200
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 29/8 11:59
Re: Stocking ideas very hard water and square tank #5
Thanks for the help so far. So at the moment I am going for the Celebes and a couple of Gudgeon. I love the idea of rice fish but not sure I want to spend money on something that may not hatch. I think it might be a case of waiting until I find some suitable rice fish for sale .
Paul200 Paul200
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 29/8 16:46
Re: Stocking ideas very hard water and square tank #6
Just a quick question Therecseems to be conflicting information on Dwarf neon rainbows. Some site say soft water and low PH and some say hard water with a PH up to 8.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 29/8 18:36
Re: Stocking ideas very hard water and square tank #7
While they're not soft water, they won't cope in very hard water, unlike many other rainbows. For Dwarf Neons you'd need gH between 5 and 15 degrees and pH from 6.8 to 7.5
Paul200 Paul200
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 30/8 10:52
Re: Stocking ideas very hard water and square tank #8
Apart from the Empire Gudgeon are there any other killifish which would be suitable for my water and tank size ? Just trying to get a bit of a mixture across the tank.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 30/8 12:38
Re: Stocking ideas very hard water and square tank #9
Aphanias species and some others from the African lakes will be OK in hard water.
Paul200 Paul200
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 30/8 16:05
Re: Stocking ideas very hard water and square tank #10
Some of those look fantastic. Once again the problem seems to be getting hold of them So there are fish which fit my situation but they seem to be impossible to find.