Nunciata Nunciata
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/8 21:34
Teeny Tiny wormlike creatures #1
Hi everyone!

I hope you and your aquarium creatures are doing well. Blue, male betta fish, is doing well. He’s been in his new tank since july2nd. No nitrites or nitrates yet but the ammonia is consistently less than .25 ppm.

I was doing a water change today and when I was done I noticed these teeny, tiny wormlike creatures swimming in the water. They were looking for something to grab onto, like a plant stem. At that point, they sort of disappeared. And now there is no sign of them.

Any idea what these are? Are they harmful? Or just some naturally occurring organism? Can they hurt Blue?

As always thank you for your knowledge and support.

Nancy
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/8 14:37
Re: Teeny Tiny wormlike creatures #2
It sounds like they are detritus worms. They live in the substrate and eat leftover food etc.. If you're seeing them it usually means they've had a bit of a population explosion that can happen if you overfeed. I would cut back a little on feeding and their number should decline again.
Nunciata Nunciata
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 8/8 20:48
Re: Teeny Tiny wormlike creatures #3
Hi Fishlady,

I Could be over feeding Blue. Part of it could be that I think he doesn’t find the food I give him. I feed him bug bites. It seems he eats maybe three or four before they all sink to the bottom. I don’t know if he finds the at the bottom if he is still hungry.

I have been entertaining the idea of getting some daphnia cultures to grow his food. I’ve been researching how to grow them. Seems easy enough. Any thoughts?

As always the information sharing is much appreciated.

Nancy
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/8 23:03
Re: Teeny Tiny wormlike creatures #4
Funnily enough I'm about to start a culture of a smaller daphnia species called moina. It's fairly easy to do. There's a video I like on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0ZlwtjJu9c
Nunciata Nunciata
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 5/9 2:26
Re: Teeny Tiny wormlike creatures #5
Fish lady,

I’m curious to know if you tried to culture daphnia.

Waiting with bated breath (worm on tongue)

Nancy