IainDC IainDC
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/8 18:13
White mouth fungus #1
Hi everyone,

My neons seem to continuously get infections on their mouths with white fungus which gets bigger and really impacts on their ability to eat. I've tried Melafix, Pimafix and Interpet Fungus and Finrot in the past to no avail. I have a snail in the tank, is there anything else that works effectively that can be used in the tank with a snail present (also have white corys and platies)? Thank you in advance.

Iain.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/8 19:07
Re: White mouth fungus #2
This seems quite common with neon tetras in recent years. Not much seems to get rid of it permanently, but I suggest you try Esha 2000.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/8 19:33
Re: White mouth fungus #3
I wouldn't risk the eSHa 2000 with snails. I've read of others who returned their nerite snails too soon to the tank post-medication, despite post-medication carbon use, and still ended up killing them. :( [Any possibility of temporarily keeping the snails elsewhere while using eSHa 2000, running carbon for a week or so in the filter, then returning the snails to the tank after that?]
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/8 14:38
Re: White mouth fungus #4
Whoops! Sorry, missed the mention of the snail. As fcmf says, remove any snails before using Esha 2000.
IainDC IainDC
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/8 15:12
Re: White mouth fungus #5
Thanks both, I removed the snail and treated with Esha. Unfortunately the worst affected Neon passed away today. Hopefully it helps the rest of them. It is very hard to shift it seems!

Cheers,
Iain.