tpgdavies tpgdavies
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 16/7 12:57
Algae Overrun #1
Hi,
I would be grateful for any advice on a problem I am having with my 70l tropical tank. The issue is my plants keep deteriorating in the water. By way of background:

1. The tank is 70l
2. I set the tank up three years ago
3. I do 10-15% water change a couple of times a week
4. The tank is located close to, but not in, direct sunlight

The water is testing OK. (pics attached) but I cannot seem to stop my plants from deteriorating. I would welcome any advice.Resized Image

Whilst I clean the gravel substrate regularly, I have noticed a build up of sediment in one corner and I am thinking of giving the full substrate a thorough rise and clean. Many thanks indeed in advance for any/all advice.

Tim
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/7 14:00
Re: Algae Overrun #2
I'm afraid that I'm definitely not one to offer any advice on this, other than empathy. I have exactly the same problem of algae taking its hold on plants and causing their deterioration (although my tank is not close to direct sunlight and my water change is 40% per week).

A few thoughts/suggestions NB the third and fourth haven't helped me so far but might help you:
* you might find that nerite snails (or shrimp or otocinclus) can help with the algae generally - nerite snails are too heavy for plants, though, unless horned ones are light enough to balance on them to remove algae;
* you might find that larger water changes help (particularly if your tap water isn't high in phosphates#);
* phosphate/silicate levels - it is possible to buy products which remove these [however, my own experience, with having high 5 ppm phosphate levels from the tap, is that a phosphate removal pad plus Poly-Filter has little/made no difference];
* I've had it suggested to me that root tabs and fertilisers might help redress the issue - so far, root tabs, fertilisers of micro-nutrients and latterly the macro-nutrients of nitrogen and potassium (not phosphorus, given the high phosphate levels, and I have negligible nitrates in the tap water or tank and am currently very lightly stocked with fish) have not helped; the situation looked promising for a week or two but the plants are now becoming consumed by algae; CO2 might be the next route to try;

Be careful when rinsing/cleaning the substrate as you may lose some beneficial bacteria residing there whose purpose is to process fish waste - rinse in being-discarded tank water if at all possible and definitely don't use any soap-like products! :)