hking30246 hking30246
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/7 7:45
Help! Mass fish die off :( #1
Hi guys,
Relatively new to fish keeping having not had any since being a kid, and having a nightmare of a week with it!
I have a 200L tank with 180L working volume in it, water parameters are good - pH stable at 7, ammonia 0.25 (this was after pulling out some of the dead fish, is usually 0) nitrites 0 and nitrates 5 (these never get above 10 with plants & water changes)
I do weekly 20-30% water changes
I’m stocked with 6 harlequins, 6 neon tetras, 6 Cory catfish & 2 German blue rams, and we’ve been up & running for about 5 months with no deaths or issues at all (minus a really unfortunate accident where one Got stuck under a decoration)
This weekend we added 6 guppy’s, same process as usual with drip acclimatising before introducing, unfortunately the bag bobbed under the surface this time so I think some of the fish shop water got into my tank
In the last 48 hours I’ve lost most of the guppy, one of my GBRs and now one of my Cory catfish this morning
Everything was looking ok, water stayed stable, but I’ve just noticed on one of my neons the left fin has been eaten away & it has some white coating (more of a patch not spots) around its side & gill so I’m now thinking there’s some kind of disease ripping through my tank.
Any ideas what I’m dealing with here or how to handle it?
hking30246 hking30246
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 1/7 8:40
Re: Help! Mass fish die off :( #2
Hopefully you can see the patch from this photo, sorry they move so fast its not the best quality! Its the one at the top

Attach file:

jpg  23247_5efc3dec8601f.jpg (1,914.63 KB)
23247_5efc3dec8601f.jpg 4000X3000 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/7 10:24
Re: Help! Mass fish die off :( #3
They appear to have either a bacterial or fungal infection - can't see which from the photos. It doesn't matter though as I would advise treating the tank with Esha 2000 which will deal with either.
hking30246 hking30246
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 1/7 20:01
Re: Help! Mass fish die off :( #4
Thank you, will give it a try! Can’t get hold of it until Friday unfortunately, fingers crossed no more casualties til then