kmofish kmofish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 30/6/2020 22:15
Capacity Issues #1
Disclaimer: I am the loathed person who bought goldfish without proper research beforehand. I'm sorry!

I have three (young and small) fantail goldfish in my current place of residence in a tank which is too small for them. I also have a common goldfish in a much bigger tank at my parents' home, which is a 2 hour drive from me.
I plan to take the smaller tank, drive it to my parents' and swap the common goldfish into the smaller tank to give the larger one to the three fantails.

In order to do this, I have to move the fantails into some other vessel for the time it will take me to drive there and back, and do the swap etc. In the past when I have had to transport the fish, I have put them in a 5 litre container which hasn't had any effect on their health or harmed them in any way - but this has only been for short periods of time.

My question is, is it possible for me to leave the fantails in this container (without a filter) all day whilst I do the tank swap, or will I have to make two journeys?

I would really appreciate any advice on this. TYIA :)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/7/2020 10:29
Re: Capacity Issues #2
Short answer to this one - yes, but change part of the water several times over the day to keep ammonia low.