AmyCSW AmyCSW
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/5 16:44
Equipment advice for new tank owner #1
Hello!

I've just bought a Juwel tank second hand, it's 60x30x40cm which I've calculated as 72 litres according to this website. I'm planning to keep cold water fish, not goldfish though, but before I even start looking at fish, I want to get the tank equipment right!

What equipment do I need in my tank? The sale didn't provide any. I know I need a pump and a filter (or are the same thing?) But I don't think I need a heater for cold water, is that right?

I'd appreciate any advice on equipment as my google searches are leaving me a little befuddled about brands and sizes of things, struggling to find the line between a genuine review and an ad!

I live in a hard water area, does that make a difference as well?

My plan is set up the tank and equipment, then add the decorations and plants, get it cycling properly and then I will look at the best fish to get, so I'm in no rush!

Many thanks in advance!
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/5 17:54
Re: Equipment advice for new tank owner #2
Hello,
I'll need to be brief but a few key points:
* for that size of tank, I'm only aware of white cloud mountain minnows that would suit https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... esheet.php?caresheetID=73 as other coldwater fish (eg some barbs, danios, rainbow shiners, etc) require larger tanks;
* a heater would expand the range of potential fish options to you (eg hard-water options would include endlers, guppies, platies) [and might even be necessary anyway, to maintain temp at stable level if house gets cold overnight or if you're away and heating not on];
* a filter is a definite - it's the fishes' life-support machine.
Hope that helps.
AmyCSW AmyCSW
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 15/5 12:39
Re: Equipment advice for new tank owner #3
Hi

Thanks that is helpful, especially about getting a heater. The seller has thrown in a heater for free so I will definitely consider it. I'm aware the tank is the minimal size.

What kind of filter would you recommend, I'm currently looking at a Fluval U2 and maybe an under gravel one?

Thanks!
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/5 14:24
Re: Equipment advice for new tank owner #4
Fluval is a good brand of filter and I liked the U2. Eheim is also a good brand, and I use the 45 PickUp in my smaller quarantine tank.

I currently have a JBL CristalProfi i80 greenline - it's a corner filter and I thought it seemed more discreet and less bulky. I like JBL products a lot but regret buying this - it's poorly designed and floats right out from the bottom, trapping fish and nerite snails behind it; I bought waterproof magnets to address this but it's extremely cumbersome when doing filter maintenance. OASE Bioplus 100 corner filter might be better - I've heard favourable comments generally about their products.

One problem I've found with a lot of filters is that tiny fish can get trapped behind them easily (eg ember tetras, neon green rasboras, pygmy corydoras). This can be addressed with filter wool squashed behind it.

Undergravel filtration used to be popular and it's still possible to buy undergravel filters - but, if you wanted to grow live aquarium plants, then not a good choice.