« 1 (2)
merpig merpig
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/5 21:38
Re: Weird string of unrelated issues? Help with goldfish treatment #11
So unfortunately my partner was not super thrilled about the 90l bucket on our living room floor when the fish inside had completed treatment, and against better judgment (and advice!) I replaced the two that have undergone treatment back in the tank (having drip acclimated just in case) on 18/05.

Initially I was thrilled that the treated oranda and ranchu were extremely active and displaying none of the symptoms that led me to treat in the first place, bar a tiny amount of fungus on the ranchu's mouth which has not changed for months (teeny tiny, doesn't impede eating, just won't shift no matter what). So I was pretty satisfied.

This continued for approx 2 clear days after which all the behaviours - lethargy and heavy breathing for the ranchu, bottom sitting for the oranda - reappeared, along with worsening of the ryukin's swim bladder issue which is still relatively mild and could be a coincidence of course. All the symptoms are less prevalent than before I treated but escalating quickly to the point today both of the two treated fish have spent almost all day on the bottom (still excited by anyone approaching the tank etc).

As suggested, I have carefully monitored my levels since they were reintroduced and they have not spiked at all - ammonia and nitrite have held steady at 0, nitrate sits somewhere between 10 and 20ppm and a water change is due tomorrow.

To me, this suggests that whatever the issue is, it is present in the tank, the kanaplex is somewhat effective against it, but there has been reinfection. Would you agree? Perhaps the reintroduction of the fish and the associated increase in hormones in the water has stressed the ryukin, accounting for the flare up in swim bladder...

So my current strategy is that the oranda and the ranchu go back in the tub for another round of treatment. Would doing a back to back double round (so 14 days) treatment be likely to adversely affect their kidneys at this stage? And then my plan was to leave them in the tub for at least 7 days after conclusion of the treatment as you originally suggested. Then perhaps to add one back to the tank, and if that goes smoothly, add the other say a week later?

I do still have the metroplex as an additional antibiotic treatment to try, although it is still yet to be delivered.

Hopefully this makes sense and sounds sensible?
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 22/5 23:29
Re: Weird string of unrelated issues? Help with goldfish treatment #12
Sorry to read about this deterioration (and the pressure from your partner which has essentially led to this!). All very mysterious.

I'm probably 35% oriented towards seeing if it resolves the issues in the spare tub minus medication (which might help us establish the nature of it such as involvement of stress hormones) and 65% minded towards taking the risk and medicating again given the extent of deterioration, then try to establishthe degree to which different factors are involved.

If you do proceed with the medication now, then please emphasise to your partner that the fish will need to stay in this isolation tank during that AND afterwards for a fortnight to see how the situation evolves - just as important to maximise recuperation and work out what's going on as the medication stage. By then, the other antibiotic should have arrived and you can make a decision whether to treat with that at that stage or return the fish to the main tank one by one.

Hope that sounds a sensible plan.
merpig merpig
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 23/5 19:34
Re: Weird string of unrelated issues? Help with goldfish treatment #13
I’ve gone with the meds so they’re back in their bucket as of today!

They seem noticeably more active in there than in the tank. Really can’t figure this one out.

I’ll keep you posted!
merpig merpig
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 27/5 19:08
Re: Weird string of unrelated issues? Help with goldfish treatment #14
We are not yet done with the second round of antibiotics, but just thought it worth noting that the ryukin now solo again in the tank, has gradually improved since the other two returned to medicine tub. Today he’s noticeably more active and happier. Very odd.

The two in the bucket I’m less sure about. They seem to be bottom sitting 90% of the time but they’re still excited about food or me approaching the tub.

I worried that what I’m seeing is boredom rather than solely illness so added a few stones and floating plants (from the main tank) for some interest for them but not a great deal of excitement from them after the first five minutes!
merpig merpig
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: Yesterday 14:00
Re: Weird string of unrelated issues? Help with goldfish treatment #15
So the second round of kanaplex is now complete, and the two treated fish have remained in their hospital tub for four days following treatment.

I’m not convinced the treatment has worked tbh. They still seem to spend a lot of time bottom sitting and inactive, although there’s not a lot of enrichment in the tub.

The metroplex has now arrived and I’m considering going ahead with it instead of trying the two out back in the tank.

The instructions state it can just be added to water but can also be added to food. I think adding to the water would be a more reliable dose, is there any reason not to just add to the water?

In the meantime, the ryukin in the tank continues to be completely fine minus his minor swim bladder issues.