IainDC IainDC
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/4 11:50
Suspected Platy Dropsy - Help! #1
Hi everyone,

I have a suspected platy with dropsy. Distended torso and slight pineconing with her sitting on the gravel. Is there anything I can do? We did a big water change (50% or so) yesterday, although the parameters were in normal levels, and also used Interpet Antifungus and Finrot (only bactericidal we had in). We have a secondary tank in the loft bu the filter stopped (which is why it is in the loft).

Thanks in advance,

Worried fish dad.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/4 15:14
Re: Suspected Platy Dropsy - Help! #2
Do you have any Epsom salts (magesium sulphate)? [NB. Not aquarium salt / sodium chloride which is for other conditions.] If so, that's an alternative option - you could give her an Epsom salt bath for 15-20 minutes in a plastic tub or your spare tank (tank water straight from the tank with the Epsom salts added).

Edited to add: The dosage appears to be 1 tablespoon for 4 litres. When I tried this, I'm fairly certain I erred on the side of caution and just dosed 1 teaspoon for 4 litres - even at that, my cardinal tetra shuddered during treatment (in hindsight, perhaps I ought to have removed her from it altogether).