Pcam86 Pcam86
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/3 21:34
Quite a few of my fish keep flicking....help! #1
Hi everyone,

My 125L tank is just over a month old and all water test readings are at 0. I keep noticing that most of my fish keep flicking themselves on the ornaments/gravel daily but I can't see any obvious signs of things like white spot etc. I'm hoping I don't need any sort of treatment that will affect my shrimp as I've heard most treatments will kill them 😩

Anyone have any ideas of what may be the problem?
Anonymous  
Re: Quite a few of my fish keep flicking....help! #2
Sounds like it could be a parasite like flukes, you'd need to shop around for a shrimp safe treatment, maybe something that treats for worms possibly too. Hope you get something for it.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/3 14:39
Re: Quite a few of my fish keep flicking....help! #3
How did you cycle your tank and how long did it take? The 0 reading for ammonia and nitrite is good, but the 0 reading for nitrates makes me wonder if your tank isn't properly cycled; what is your tap water reading for nitrates?
Pcam86 Pcam86
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 31/3 22:28
Re: Quite a few of my fish keep flicking....help! #4
Bit of an update.

It appears a few fish do have a couple of white spots. I've managed to get some Esha Exit as I've used that years ago when I also had shrimp so I'm hoping that helps.

The nitrates had a very slight tinge of colour but had virtually been showing zero. I'll check them again tomorrow. Not sure if having quite a heavily planted tank will push my nitrates to zero? My tap water also reads zero for nitrate. Around a week ago my nitrate was around 40ppm though. Tank has been cycling for a month so far.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/4 15:26
Re: Quite a few of my fish keep flicking....help! #5
It's likely that the fish-in cycling process will have accounted for what is / might be whitespot. eSHa Exit is a good treatment for this condition (and, if it comes to it, can also be used in conjunction with eSHa 2000 for finrot/fungus).

Try to keep tank water nitrates <20 (and keep ammonia and nitrite at 0) once the treatment course is complete (assuming that you've started it). A heavily planted tank, which is largely a jungle of plants and a few fish dotted here and there, could keep nitrates very low (especially as your tap water is zero). Therefore, keeping nitrates below 20 should be very do-able once the cycling is complete.

Best of luck, and let us know if the treatment solves the problem.
Pcam86 Pcam86
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 9/4 23:49
Re: Quite a few of my fish keep flicking....help! #6
Well....the whitest disappeared on the 4th day but tonight I noticed 3 fish flicking from the plants again. Should I have used the treatment for longer just in case?