tompen87 tompen87
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/3 9:44
Apistogramma Advice 40 Gallon Tank #1
Looking for some advice on fish for my 40 gallon tank (80x40x45).

Current stocking is 10 harlequin, 10 cardinal tetra, 1 flash pleco, 3 julli corys, 2 dwarf gourami & 2 electric blue rams.

I fishless cycled my tank and water parameters have always been great, 0 ammonia & nitrite, 5-10 nitrate, ph 7. Temp 26. Tank is moderately planted.

My electric blue rams are young, just over an inch, one is slightly larger than the other, the larger one chases the smaller one sometimes, nothing too aggressive, I think I’ve got a male & female but I’m not 100% sure yet.

My dwarf gourami are also quite young, just under 2 inch in size. I believe they are males, they have a rounded dorcel fin which apparently suggests they are female but they have very slim bodies, Ive seen females in a LFS and they have much rounder bodies. They are both thriving so far, they swim around together a lot of the time but when feeding time comes they can chase and bump into each other now and again, neither is dominant over the other and it never looks too aggressive, more like play fighting. They rarely chase off the rams but I have seen it now and again.

Anyway I’d like advice as I’d like to add 2 Apistogramma to the mix. I was hoping to add 1 cacatoides and 1 agassizii or just 2 cacatoides? I’m not sure if they will be suitable along side the rams? If OK should I look at getting both as males or females? Would a pair of one type work better than 1 of each type?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Attach file:

jpg  22916_5e5e26a09bcdd.jpg (233.68 KB)
22916_5e5e26a09bcdd.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  22916_5e5e271655199.jpg (253.02 KB)
22916_5e5e271655199.jpg 1200X1600 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/3 11:23
Re: Apistogramma Advice 40 Gallon Tank #2
As long as you have plenty of cover and hiding spots, you should be OK to add a pair of Apistogramma with your rams. You're better off with a pair of one species rather than one of each.

Your dwarf gouramis are males, by the way; females are plain silver in colour.
tompen87 tompen87
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/3 13:10
Re: Apistogramma Advice 40 Gallon Tank #3
Thanks.

Im looking at a pair of Apistogramma Cacatoides, one a Sunburst Cockatoo and the other Double Red Cockatoo, should they be OK together as they are both Apistogramma Cacatoides, would 2 males be OK together?

Ive now read that I shouldn't keep 2 males gourami together so I am bit worried about this! One chases the other a bit, but not much, a lot of the time they are fine side by side.

Thanks for the advice!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/3 15:56
Re: Apistogramma Advice 40 Gallon Tank #4
Get a male and female of 1 species as two males will probably fight.