charlitfc charlitfc
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/3 1:06
Trouble with nitrates #1
Hi there,

I’m new to the hobby, so please go easy on me.
I just set up a new biorb (a mistake, I know) and cycled without fish for 3 weeks with a biological booster.
It went through bloom and the readings seemed good, so I went ahead and put a betta in there.
Suddenly everything SPIKED and I tried to fix it with 50% water changes.
After 4 water changes, the ammonia reading is between 0-0.25ppm.
The nitrites are 0ppm.
The nitrates are still really high, between 20-40ppm.
I’ve added the tetra nitrate remover and it doesn’t seem to be decreasing them.
I’ve also cut back on feeding significantly to try and prevent increase as much as possible.
I’m worried about it affecting his fins, as they are already very “fluffy” and it’s hard to see if they’re fraying or not.

Thank you for reading 🙂
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/3 7:07
Re: Trouble with nitrates #2
Hi

Did you also add a source of ammonia when you were cycling? If not, then the bacterial supplement you added will have died from lack of food and the tank is not cycled at all.

Nitrate may well be at the level it is because that's the amount in your tap water (test it to see) and is not high enough to be a concern.

Any problems with the fish will be because of the ammonia and nitrite due to the tank not being cycled. You need to deal with that by following the tips in this guide: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... ammonia-nitrite-spike.htm
charlitfc charlitfc
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/3 14:27
Re: Trouble with nitrates #3
Thank you for your reply Fishlady. I added a few flakes of fish food during the cycling process. I just took another set of readings (including tap water this time), and I will include them here for confirmation. It seems the tap water is the culprit for the nitrates, as the ammonia and nitrite levels don't appear high to me.

Attach file:

jpg  22914_5e5e695b2fbd7.jpg (19.46 KB)
22914_5e5e695b2fbd7.jpg 320X230 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 3/3 15:55
Re: Trouble with nitrates #4
If your tap water is under 40 there's nothing to worry about. However, the fact that tap and tank are the same is cause for concern as if the tank was cycled nitrate would be higher in the tank than it is from the tap. Test daily for the next week or so and watch out for ammonia or nitrite rising.