SeggyFish24 SeggyFish24
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 22/1 22:36
Emergency fish first aid! Please help!! #1
Help needed from someone who has never owned and knows nothing about fish! Here’s the story...
Opened my front door 5 days ago to find a common goldfish on my driveway. I live in busy central London so it was a huge shock to say the least. As I got closer I see his gills are still moving so screamed at my sister for a bucket and some water. A few magpies and ravens were eagerly hopping about nearby and I assume they have had a few pecks at him as this fish was in a bad way! :( I brought him indoors and thought he would pass in peace out of the sun and bird pecking and he floated on his side or upside down for about 8 hours in a dimly lit room. Fast forward 3 days and he’s swimming round a large fish bowl with water I have treated with AquaSafe, with a hastily bought air pump oxygenating the water and I have added Aqualibrium Fish First Aid Salt. Today is our 5th day with him and he is eating for the first time which I’m so happy about! He’s lost a lot of scales and the skin underneath was very red and sore but has calmed down and gone to a white/pale orange tint now which looks much better. I therefore think he is improving! I am just so worried about the wounds ( he has a brown swollen lump that looks almost stuck on his left side) and the black marks all over him which I again assume are wounds? I’m really trying my best to help this little fella (now named Lucky) and if anyone can please give advice to a complete rookie in fish care on how to help him I’d be so so grateful!! Thanks, Sophie (I can only work out how to add one pic so have added a strange one but it shows the bad lump on his left side and the black mark on his right and over his nose)

Attach file:

jpeg  FAA164D9-E128-4237-BAAD-293B413AD926.jpeg (1,866.51 KB)
22844_5e28cd77665db.jpeg 4032X3024 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/1 15:09
Re: Emergency fish first aid! Please help!! #2
I'm sorry that I'm unlikely to be able to reply properly for another few days at least but suggest you look at the 2nd and 3rd articles at https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/coldwater_articles/ and https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... ammonia-nitrite-spike.htm and http://injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-go ... t-size-tank-for-goldfish/
Also:
* Worth getting a bottle of eSHa 2000 or Waterlife Myxazin in case the wounds become infected (likely incurred by a bird lifting him out of a pond and dropping him in your driveway).
* Scrupulous water quality (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, <20 nitrates) will be required at all times.
* Really Useful Box 145 litre would be ideal as temporary home.
Will reply further when able to.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/2 16:33
Re: Emergency fish first aid! Please help!! #3
Apologies that I didn't follow this up.
Dare I ask - how is Lucky now?
It sounds as though he may have got lifted out of a pond, and hence the injuries, and dropped in your driveway. Hopefully the Caresheets on here have been helpful and you've got him in a suitably sized tank with filter. Let us know if we can be of any further help.