Julie123 Julie123
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 25/11 17:37
Black algae covering plants #1
Hi all, I’m new here and just looking for some advice. I have a small freshwater tank with a few White Cloud Mountain minnows and 4 amano shrimp. All are doing well (aside from a rogue snail getting in on a plant and producing lots more!) and 2 shrimp are pregnant!

My main problem is that the plants are covered in dark algae, and the glass tends to get green in areas too. I do a 20-25% water change weekly and have tested the water using Tetra 6in1 strips and all levels are in the safe zone.

Is there anything I can do? I was thinking of replacing the plants, is that ok to do? Sorry if it’s a silly question..only ever had the obligatory fish from the fair before these.

Thanks in advance
Julie123 Julie123
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 25/11 18:24
Re: Black algae covering plants #2
Quote:

Julie123 wrote:
Hi all, I’m new here and just looking for some advice. I have a small freshwater tank with a few White Cloud Mountain minnows and 4 amano shrimp. All are doing well (aside from a rogue snail getting in on a plant and producing lots more!) and 2 shrimp are pregnant!

My main problem is that the plants are covered in dark algae, and the glass tends to get green in areas too. I do a 20-25% water change weekly and have tested the water using Tetra 6in1 strips and all levels are in the safe zone.

Is there anything I can do? I was thinking of replacing the plants, is that ok to do? Sorry if it’s a silly question..only ever had the obligatory fish from the fair before these.

Thanks in advance

I should add that I also use the Pure aquarium balls
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/11 21:51
Re: Black algae covering plants #3
Any chance of a pic? Just a note: if your tank is cycled there'sno need to continue with the Pure stuff.