Bricorn Bricorn
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 19/11/2019 7:52
Power cuts how to handle best? #1
180L community tank, in-tank filter with filter floss then bio balls. No heating (I'm in the tropics).

I get frequent power cuts for up to 8 hours, normally with warning, and am not sure how best to handle them.
I have a battery operated air pump and I see 2 choices as to how to use it best;

1. Just use it to feed an airstone in the tank.
2. Use it to power a home-made water lift (like an undergravel uplift tube} with an inverted U at the top, with the top hooked into the filter. Water level reduced a little so that the tank water won't flow into the filter and the water from the uplift has to flow out through the (non-functioning) pump back into the tank, thus aerating it a bit, though not as much as method 1.

I used 2. today, but a mate with much more experience than me said I was wrong and I should just ignore the filter.

OK folks, 1. or 2. Or.........?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/11/2019 19:31
Re: Power cuts how to handle best? #2
I'd go with two - it's lack of oxygen/water flow that kills off filter bacteria so anything that increases oxygen in the filter is a good idea when the power is off.
Bricorn Bricorn
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 20/11/2019 4:23
Re: Power cuts how to handle best? #3
Quote:

Fishlady wrote:
I'd go with two - it's lack of oxygen/water flow that kills off filter bacteria so anything that increases oxygen in the filter is a good idea when the power is off.

Thanks
Mjf71 Mjf71
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 27/12/2019 11:37
Re: Power cuts how to handle best? #4
I have a 12v leisure battery, and an inverter. It will happily run the heater & pump for 6 - 8hrs.