RedBlue RedBlue
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 21/10 18:52
Shunkin Floating Upside Down. Help! #1
Hi, I have a fish emergency. My bristol shunkin is floating upside in the tank, still alive and trying to swim occassionally.

There are 2 fish in tank. Both Bristol Shubunkin. They are about 7 years old give or take.
One is large and white.
The other is small with a tail deformity.

Symptoms:

Floating in various positions, unable to maintain upright when not actively swimming.
Lethargy BUT still high appetite.
Bottom sitting.
Occasionally red streaks in fins.
Fin damage (but that's been a long time issue due to the fact--
Spine is deformed, so tail fin hangs down and drags. (A problem that's existed for 5-ish years out of 7 years.)

Tank: Juwel Rio 125 litre + the filter that comes with it. Two pieces of driftwood with two plants attached. Old and established been in tank for about 3 years?

Recent medication in tank: Finrot treatment last week, aquarium salt for trying to help with sickness.
Also tried boiled peas (without shells) assuming it was a swim bladder via constipation issue, but peas don't seem to have done anything.

Water changes once a week, 25% of the tank.

Haven't done a recent water test, so I don't have those results.

I originally thought it was swim bladder from not-great diet. Then i thought it might be finrot. And googling around I've seen things suggesting bacterial infection, swim bladder deformation, TURBACULOSIS?!?! because bent spine is a symptom, but could they live SEVEN YEARS with it????, among other things.

So now i'm confused and my fish might die.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_20191021_194924.jpg (2,176.60 KB)
22655_5dadfe75b9f9b.jpg 3648X2736 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 22/10 6:44
Re: Shunkin Floating Upside Down. Help! #2
The description, the photo, the redness, and the red streaks you describe, all point to impaired water quality as the / a major factor in this instance. A water change of 25% per week may not be enough - you may need to start increasing these to up to 50%, twice weekly.

Water testing of your ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and PH is crucial; let us know the results. As time is of the essence here both for this fish and therefore likely the other fish, then I'd strongly suggest you do a 50% water change now (after doing the test results on the existing water) before the other fish also succumbs. If, for whatever reason, you can't do a water test now, then proceed with the water change anyway - no time to lose on this.

I'd continue with *daily* water changes of 25% for a week at least, and see if this improves the situation. Keep us posted on the situation re this and the other fish (and water test results as you go along).