QDanzer QDanzer
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Joined: 16/10/2019 2:18
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posts: 1
  • Posted on: 16/10/2019 2:44
First time cycling, have a few questions #1
Hi guys, new here so nice to meet you all!

I’m currently doing a fishless cycle to house a betta along with cardinal tetras, it’s an 80L and I think the cycle is going good so far, I dosed the first week with stability and on day 7 ammonia started to drop and nitrites are rising, also getting a small nitrate reading.

I just have a few questions..

1. I want to crank up the heat to 80f to speed things up a little but I have plants in my tank, will the high heat kill them off or damage them?

2. I know high nitrites can kill of bb so at what ppm would I have to do a water change if it was to spike? As of this post I’m currently sitting at 1ppm ammonia (started at 3) 2ppm nitrite and 5ppm nitrate.

3. Are high nitrates bad to plants or bb? I know I have to do a big water change once the tank is cycled but do I need to worry about nitrates before that water change?

4. I read that you have to reduce ammonia dosage once nitrites reach 2ppm, so if I were to continue to dose 2ppm only would the bb be able handle the load of all my desired tetras straight away (was thinking 8-10)? Or should I introduce 3-4 at a time?

Hope i worded these questions correctly and didn’t confuse anyone.

Thanks!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Joined: 6/7/2010 19:26
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posts: 13279
  • Posted on: 16/10/2019 16:24
Re: First time cycling, have a few questions #2
Quote:

QDanzer wrote:
Hi guys, new here so nice to meet you all!

I’m currently doing a fishless cycle to house a betta along with cardinal tetras, it’s an 80L and I think the cycle is going good so far, I dosed the first week with stability and on day 7 ammonia started to drop and nitrites are rising, also getting a small nitrate reading.

I just have a few questions..

1. I want to crank up the heat to 80f to speed things up a little but I have plants in my tank, will the high heat kill them off or damage them?


No, the heat won't damage the plants.
Quote:

2. I know high nitrites can kill of bb so at what ppm would I have to do a water change if it was to spike? As of this post I’m currently sitting at 1ppm ammonia (started at 3) 2ppm nitrite and 5ppm nitrate.


Nitrite will go off the scale, so when that happens do a water change to reduce it.

Quote:

3. Are high nitrates bad to plants or bb? I know I have to do a big water change once the tank is cycled but do I need to worry about nitrates before that water change?


High nitrates can stall the cycle so if it gets to => 80ppm do a water change.

Quote:

4. I read that you have to reduce ammonia dosage once nitrites reach 2ppm, so if I were to continue to dose 2ppm only would the bb be able handle the load of all my desired tetras straight away (was thinking 8-10)? Or should I introduce 3-4 at a time?


There's no need to reduce the ammonia dosage; continue at the same level throughout the cycle.