mrschristmas mrschristmas
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 11/10 14:35
Total begginer! #1
My five year old is desperate for some fish, so I was thinking of getting her a tank and fish for Christmas.

We don't have huge amounts of space, and a fairly tight budget, but I've seen this tank - https://www.portonaquapet.co.uk/shop/- ... yPwZsSjRyezUaApJnEALw_wcB - which seems a reasonable price for the size?

I've done a bit of research about how to calculate the number of fish per litre, and I know that most threads advise against such a small tank, but for a child, all she would want are maybe 5-6 very small fish - like the cold mountain minnows, danios or tetras, and a few shrimp maybe?

I don't want to get too many, or have to upgrade as I won't have the money or space to do so/

Am I kidding myself with this tank?

Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/10 14:58
Re: Total begginer! #2
Hi
It's too small for the fish you mentioned, but if you add a heater you could keep either a solo male Betta splendens or a shoal of small tropicals such as Ember Tetras or Celestial Pearl Danios with a few shrimps.

The tank will need fishless cycling which takes 6-8 weeks to do before you can add any fish so if you want fish in it by Christmas you'll need to get started pretty soon. This article explains why you have to cycle the tank and how to do it, but if you have any questions please ask: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 11/10 16:27
Re: Total begginer! #3
Thank you, I'll be giving her the tank on Christmas Day so she can be part of preparation, including cycling. I want her to be aware of what is involved in having pet fish.

Does adding a heater make the whole thing much more expensive?
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 11/10 16:55
Re: Total begginer! #4
The ratio I was given was 1 inch of fish for every 4 litres. Is that wrong?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/10 20:19
Re: Total begginer! #5
A heater will only cost a few pounds so not much more. The 1 inch per 4 litres "rule" is not very clear. It only applies to small, shallow bodied fish for one thing and doesn't work for many species. For example, you couldn't keep a 12-inch fish in 48 litres of water. Then there's always a minimum tank size to consider for any given species which varies with how active they are, how much waste they produce and how much territory they need. So you start with the minimum tank size for a specific fish, and then stock that to no more than 1 inch per 4 litres, but only for small fish. For zebra danios for instance, the minimum recommended tank is 3 feet long so about 100 litres because they need a lot of space to swim and need to be kept in quite big groups to prevent them being too aggressive with each other.
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 12/10 12:23
Re: Total begginer! #6
Thank you.

I have had a look and found a 100 l tank on facebook marketplace.

It looks in good condition, and has everything but a light, so that looks like my best option.

So that gives us much more space.

I'm going to do some research and come up with a plan for what I'd like to stock it with.