PennywiseSam PennywiseSam
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/9/2019 20:31
Will this community be okay? #1
Hi everyone, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I am relatively new to fishkeeping and have bought myself a 400L aquarium. I have an idea what fish I'd like and was hoping if someone could tell me if these fish will be okay together (I have done some research and I believe they will be) and also if I am planning on too many fish or even possibly if I'd have space for more.

I am looking to get 5 african cichlids, a phantom blue pleco, a common pleco and a red tail shark.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks folks.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/9/2019 21:16
Re: Will this community be okay? #2
Hi

I'm afraid you can't keep African cichlids with the other fish on your list as African cichlids need hard alkaline water and the plecos and RTBS need soft acidic conditions. Post your water parameters for further advice - pH and hardness.

Note that if you want African cichlids you need many more than just five as they are aggressive fish so need to be kept in large groups to spread the aggression and prevent any one fish being picked on too much.
PennywiseSam PennywiseSam
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/9/2019 21:27
Re: Will this community be okay? #3
Thank you, that's good advice. I'll have to have a re think.