Candle321 Candle321
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/9 18:49
Future stocking of Juwel 350l #1
Hi!

Looking to the future after our 'accidental tank acquisition' as per my previous posts, I have been enjoying making a stocking plan, which I want to share for your honest opinions and advice.

Few background bits - we have a Juwel 350 (4ft) cold water tank with All Pond Solutions 1400 EF+ canister filter (with recently added Seachem Matrix in addition to boil balls, activated carbon, ceramic noodles and sponges that were previously cycled).

The tank is currently housing 3 juvenile Weather Loaches and 6 juvenile Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnows, sand substrate, bog wood, pebbles, slate rock caves and numerous live plants. Due to the tank move, from a 3ft, three days ago we are sticking with the current stocking (until we have reliable nitrate, ph and hardness readings for a good while).

Water testing is coming back good, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, nitrates changing due to new RO water but lowering and no mini cycling so far (can't remember the dang results but I have them in my notebook which I have left at work!). 10% water changes daily and we are gradually lowering the hardness after installing the under sink RO unit, to suit the loaches. Seachem Prime (and Stability as a precautionary measure) being used as per instructions.

We do have plans to get a 5ft tank next year but need to do a few renovations to the house before we can fit it where we want it.

So, based on the above, I have followed the links provided in the other thread and have come up with the following stock list. It includes current fish, so will be a total stock, not additional, so to speak:

3 Weather Loach
8 Zebra Danio
8 Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnows
6 Rosy Barb
3 Peppered Cory

Aqadvisor results are:

Your aquarium filtration capacity is satisfactory
Aquarium filtration capacity 115%
Recommended water change 25% per week
Aquarium stocking level 97% (based on adult size)

So pull it apart and do your worst folks!
Candle321 Candle321
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 26/9 18:52
Re: Future stocking of Juwel 350l #2
"Boil balls"

I'm actually laughing

BIO BALLS
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/9 20:50
Re: Future stocking of Juwel 350l #3
Your stock list sounds fine except for the cories which need a group of six or more rather than only three. You might find it better to have two larger groups of shoaling fish rather tha three smaller ones - depends on what you find pleasing to the eye, but personally I think one or two bigger groups are more interesting to observe.
Candle321 Candle321
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 29/9 8:23
Re: Future stocking of Juwel 350l #4
After more research, I have now got the following stock list:

12 WCMM
12 Danios
3 Weather Loaches
6 Peppered Cory
6 Platy

This brings filter capacity to 119% and stocking level to 94%

Could the platys be happy and healthy if reduced to one male and two females do you think?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/9 11:24
Re: Future stocking of Juwel 350l #5
Yes, that will be fine - just make sure you get the variatus platy and not maculatus as they are more tolerant of colder water.
Candle321 Candle321
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Posted on: 29/9 12:08
Re: Future stocking of Juwel 350l #6
Yep, forgot to put that. Brilliant thankyou