(1) 2 3 4 »
Fishyfishfish Fishyfishfish
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 20/9 8:38
Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #1
Hey all

I'll keep this as short as I can but, as the title says, my fishless cycle is not working; I am not getting any Nitrite at all.

I have a Fluval Roma 125 with an external filter (Oase Biomaster Thermo 250). I went for the best canister I could afford in case the tank gets overstocked. Inside the canister is fine sponge in the pre-filter, then I've re-done the trays so that the bottom one contains blue coarse sponge that came with the filter; the next tray up has fine red sponge with a separate fine black sponge on top (it sort of looks like an egg carton in that it has raised surfaces sticking out). The last two trays contain roughly 1.5 kilos of Biohome Ultimate.

Long story short I got the tank filled and operational and put Prime in to treat the water, a day later I dosed the tank with Kleen Off ammonia to roughly 4ppm, waited 3 weeks and nothing happened. I chucked some frozen bloodworm in after they had thawed but then realised the ammonia would spike higher so I did a 50% water change but left the bloodworm in. I dosed the tank with Prime again, then the following day I tested the tank and the ammonia was down to roughly 1.5ppm. I re-dosed the tank with ammonia to get it back up to roughly 4ppm; that was just over a fortnight ago and still nothing is happening.

I'm getting impatient because it just doesn't seem to want to work. The temperature is set to 26 degrees constantly. I thought putting bloodworm in would force it into action but it simply isn't happening.

Is there any way I can speed this up?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/9 15:40
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #2
From your other posts, it seems you have another tank already running. Take a small amount of filter media from that one and put it in the new tank's canister filter. That will seed it with beneficial bacteria and kick-start the cycling process.
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 20/9 17:07
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #3
It's the same tank; I had trouble originally getting the canister primed, you gave me the advice of sucking on the return pipe, which did the job, and I've been trying to cycle the tank ever since.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/9 20:19
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #4
Do you happen to have very soft water? Sometimes this can cause a PH crash and stall cycling.
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 20/9 20:48
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #5
No, our water here is hard - 13.90 German degrees according to Severn Trent water.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/9 21:09
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #6
Where is the platy from this post?

"Hi there!

I've got a Platy whose poo is always white, since I first got her 3 weeks ago. She spends quite a lot of time at the surface but other than that she seems to be acting normally."

Do you know anyone with a mature tank who can donate a bit of filter media?
Other than that, it's possible that even with hard water, the carbonate hardness is low so try adding a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda.
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 21/9 5:01
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #7
That Platy was in a 24 litre quarantine tank, which I shut down (along with my 125 litre tank) because we moved. I gave the fish to my lfs because I wanted to start from scratch. If I had a mature tank with a seeded filter I would have cannabalised some of the media long before asking for help:).

I don't have the option of asking anyone for some either unfortunately, so I guess I need some bicarbonate of soda.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 21/9 12:07
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #8
A kH test will tell you for certain whether bicarb is going to help.
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 21/9 15:50
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #9
I'll get one ordered for next week it can't hurt to see what's what. The thing is, we are living in the same town, and the water information is the same as much as I can tell, so I can't see that being the issue.
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 23/9 13:28
Re: Fishless cycle is just not working, guidance needed.... #10
I've ordered a Gh & Kh test kit but, in the meantime, would I benefit from considering some nitrifying bacteria, perhaps Dr. Tim's One & Only or a Fluval Cycle? I don't really trust them myself but people are leaving positive feedback for them so there must be some benefit to using them.

What would be your recommendation if you were to choose one to use?