meghanf meghanf
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/9 18:01
Second tank and moving fish! #1
hello, I'm new to this forum thing but I'm after some new opinions.

I've recently brought myself a bigger tank (200L), as i currently only have a 60L. My ultimate dream with these tanks is to have the smaller tank as a super planted up tank with a betta fish, tetras etc and my new bigger tank as my display tank, I'm unsure what fish i would like to put in there yet...just trying to get my hardscape done is proving difficult!!

Anyway, the question I have is, about 80% of my fish currently in my 60L I would like in my 200L, whilst I'm pulling almost all my fish out, What would be the possibility of pulling all the fish out to re-scape the smaller one.. since this might be my only chance? If it is a possibility whats the correct way of going about this?

Also, whilst I'm here. What would be the best way to transfer my fish from the 60L to the 200L. I've seen loads of different suggestions but just wondering if anyone has anymore?

Thankyou in advance.
Meg
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/9 3:44
Re: Second tank and moving fish! #2
Generally, bettas are best kept on their own (a single male on its own or a sorority of females) rather than with other fish. Sometimes, depending on the personality of the individual fish, it is possible to keep them with other fish, but it's always best to have a back-up plan if the situation goes awry - such as transferring the other fish into the larger tank (subject to compatibility with the fish in there).

The filter currently in your 60L tank will have sufficient bacteria in its filter media to support the fish in that tank (i.e. process their waste). All you need to do is fill the 200L tank with dechlorinated water (unless you use RO water, in which case ensure that it's in the same proportions as in the 60L), ensure that the temperature reaches the same as in the 60L tank, then transfer the 60L tank's filter and its media plus the fish together into the 200L. If you decide to transfer over the substrate and decor, that's fine too as some beneficial bacteria live there too albeit most of it is in the filter.

Personally, I find that: fish inhabiting the upper levels of the tank (e.g. rasboras) will quite willingly swim into a jug and thus making for an easy / stress-free transfer; fish inhabiting lower levels (e.g. tetras) are best moved via a couple of large nets, ideally guiding them into a green-coloured net which is more easily associated with safety due to being plant-coloured.