Hi, I need some help please! I have been so busy at work and haven't done the water changes as often as usual (I usually do it every Friday),I have done it 2-3 weekly instead for a few months and I do feel so bad about it...I will never do that again! I have 2 goldfish and one of them got ill with ich a month ago. I treated with Waterlife Protozin and the spots disappeared but I noticed a bruise on its mouth and area around chin and mouth didn't look too good, it looked like the skin was white and "healing?". after 7 day treatment I have done a few water changes, then I noticed the area around mouth looked like infected, there were red areas and on the cheeks it looked like the dead skin was hanging off (around 2-3 mm long), It was hanging for 1-2 days and then fell off, underneath skin was red and looked sore. I decided to do another treatment for ich. I used different treatment this time AquaCare Anti-fungus and whitespot. During the treatment the spots stayed away but the poorly goldfish didn't seem to get any better, it's cheeks seemed to get a bit worse. So it happened again, small of white skin was hanging off of one of it's cheeks (another one above it's eye) until fell off. The skin underneath looks sore and pinkish. The other fish looked fine but it scratched itself on the gravel one evening, so I decided to repeat for the third time. (I left another week inbetween the treatments and done 2 water changes). It was a day 7 of treatment yesterday (the last day) and this morning the poorly fish has a single white spot on it's fin!!! and one of it's cheeks looks really sore and red. Please see the attached picture. Is it's face just infected from the damage by the ich or is it developing mouth rot now? It's upper lip looks a tiny bit bruised too..(not white). Is it "hole in the head" disease? Is it's cheek just infected? I even thought maybe it was flukes and not ich but then the ich treatment would have not got rid of the spots on it's body if it was flukes.I really don't wan't to lose it. I just don't know what to do next? Also it has had a stringy poop for a month. I have not fed them for a few days and fed them peas but no difference The water parameters are normal.
I would really appreciate any help and advice! Thank you! My tank is 200 litres Fluval Roma and I have an external filter Fluval 406 (I am overfiltering).
Thank you Fishlady! I have just ordered some Waterlife Myxazin from Amazon. How long do I have to wait before I can treat the tank with it? I added the last dosage of AquaCare Anti-fungus and whitespot (malachite green and formaldehyde) yesterday (08/09/19). Should I do some water changes and wait for 7 days? Or is it safe to treat sooner? Thank you!
One possibility is that the bacterial infection hasn't fully resolved. Does the Waterlife Myxazin mention anything about extending the treatment course? If so, you could do that. If not, you could wait for a week or two, then see if the situation improves (a latent improvement, or just to confirm that the ongoing stringy poo isn't a side-effect/result of the medication); if not, then possibly, re-treat.
What have you been feeding the fish throughout this time (just in case that may account for it)?
Hi, Thank you for your reply! I have completed the Myxazin treatment a week ago. All the visible marks and bruising on it's body have healed but it still has a stringy poop. I think it has had it for about 2 months now. It behaves and swims as normal. I noticed yesterday evening something new - a small bulging half a pea size bump on it's abdomen, seems like from constipation. It keeps pooping long white stringy stuff with nothing inside and every now and then there is a very small amount of poop in it. The bulge has nearly disappeared today as it managed to poop a bit. I am planning not to feed the fish for a few days and then try to give them some cucumber and peas maybe? I have always fed them Fluval goldfish flakes (for at least 3.5 years) and a few times a week some dried bloodworms and tubifex treats. Never had any problems before. Also, when I feed the flakes, I don't float them I make sure they will sink. I have heard of medicated food for bacterial infection but I am not sure what that is. Or should I do another Myxazin treatment. It's been a bit over a week since the last treatment and I have changed some of the water, I guess it should be safe to treat again? The bottle doesn't say anything about retreating or extending the treatment. Any advice is very welcome! Thank you so much!