IainDC IainDC
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/8 18:30
Platy Problem #1
Hello,

So we just got 2 new platies and they are both male; I did not realise this until today when I looked up information about the current problem. One platy keeps chasing the other platy around the tank and last night the one being chased hid inside an ornament so that we were not able to find it for a long time.

I have the following fish in the tank: 2 platies, 3 albino cory, 6 neon tetra and a nerite snail.

What can I do to sort this? I have read some suggestions about isolation or using a mirror in the tank, does anyone have any suggestions?

I can't get a picture of the tank to upload here so this link will take you to it. Just waiting on my live plants growing a bit more.

https://ibb.co/xMFb1Bv
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/8 19:16
Re: Platy Problem #2
The simple solution is more platys - get another 4 and it's likely the bullying will stop, or be spread around and so have less impact on one fish.
IainDC IainDC
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 4/8 21:30
Re: Platy Problem #3
Oh really? I was considering taking them back and getting 2 females. I wanted to get 4-6 more neons too as they are only a shoal of 6 at the moment; I worry that 4 more platys on top of my 3 albino corys, 6 neons and snail would not allow for that in my 54L tank.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/8 7:31
Re: Platy Problem #4
Six may be too much - how high does your nitrate go between water changes?

The problem with swapping for females is they are very likely to be pregnant at the point of purchase which means within a few weeks you will have a lot of babies to deal with.
IainDC IainDC
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Posted on: 8/8 16:36
Re: Platy Problem #5
I'm being very careful with regards to adding fish so that the bacterial cultures can cope with the increase and generally it goes to able 10ppm between changes which is pretty good from what I've researched. Max seems to be about 40ppm before you really need to get your butt in gear and change it!

I plumped with the return and exchange for females option and they seem to be much more chilled out. Have had them since Monday and they have only had a spat once yesterday over food I think. No sign of babies yet haha! If we have a few then that is actually fine, depending on how many get picked off in the tank by the adult platies. I don't imagine the corys, neons or snails would have much interest in the fry?

Thank you for the advice, though! My partner and I just didn't feel comfortable having the bully fish in the tank and being forced into buying more platies just to placate it/let it bully. 6 neons to go and then a couple of other fish and the tank will be complete! :)
Fenris982 Fenris982
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 11/8 16:27
Re: Platy Problem #6
Platty's love to be in groups, just like guppies. They also get pretty frisky, like all live bearers so there will always be a bit of "bullying" when the poor little fellers get frustrated. I'd take the advice of the other poster and get more to placate it or just take them back to the store and add a few more tetras.

I'd also double the size of your cory cat collection. It will really add to their personalities.