BIG_AL BIG_AL
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/7 23:11
Red Wagtail Platy Fish Health Condition (Tumour?) #1
Hi there,

I have already posted this on another forum and have seemingly reached a full conclusion, however am posting here just to get second opinions so as to confirm for definite.

My issue is that I have got one particular red wagtail platy fish (my largest fish) which has got a nasty looking growth on it which having discussed would appear to be a tumour (although bacterial infection was also suggested as a possibility).

I have included a picture (seems I can only post a single picture?). It doesn't look nice at all!.

I just want a second opinion to conform for definite that this is a tumour which can't be treated? (apparently since its been present for about a month its definitely a tumour).

This is a link to the other forum discussion (hope that its ok to include this!):
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/red ... help.452882/#post-3823667

Attach file:

jpg  Poorly B-Mu Fish Pics!3.jpg (198.65 KB)
22445_5d1a9271ca8f8.jpg 960X1280 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/7 10:22
Re: Red Wagtail Platy Fish Health Condition (Tumour?) #2
I think the key (+/- interim) questions are:
* what size of tank is the fish in, and, before your scheduled maintenance (presumably weekly), what are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?
* is the fish eating and behaving normally?

While disfiguring, it might be that this improves with the proper care and attention, namely ensuring that the water quality is/maintained at optimum levels. If the fish is eating and behaving normally, then there's hope that the situation can still be turned around and/or that the situation can be "managed".

Fishlady may be better placed than me to comment on a potential diagnosis.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/7 18:50
Re: Red Wagtail Platy Fish Health Condition (Tumour?) #3
I'm in agreement that it's a tumour. I'd be inclined to eutanise the fish to be honest. Link here on how to do this with clove oil: https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-m ... y-to-euthanize-a-fish.htm
BIG_AL BIG_AL
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 2/7 21:53
Re: Red Wagtail Platy Fish Health Condition (Tumour?) #4
Ok thanks, although I am currently thinking of waiting until the fish seems to be in distress