allanahd061 allanahd061
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 25/6 2:41
Concern for my two fishes health! #1
my black goldfish has prominent white spots and clamped fins. My shubunkin has a quite a few white spots too but also what i assume to be a streak of blood in his tail. is this fin rot? Ick? My other fish seem to be healthy. My tank is about 22L and i use water conditioner and beneficial bacterial for my tap water, I clean it out roughly once a week. The hang on filter gets cleaned every month or so. I also have some duckweed in my aquarium and feed sinking pellets three times a day usually. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am new to this!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/6 9:57
Re: Concern for my two fishes health! #2
First, do you have a test kit? If so please post test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. The bloody streaks are common where there is ammonia and/or nitrite in the water. Secondly, it sounds like they have white spot - treat this with Esha Exit.

The bad news is that the cause of this is that your tank is much too small - it's not even big enough for one goldfish. The minimum for a single fancy goldfish (fantails, black moor etc) is 140 litre plus 40 litres more for every additional fish. For single tails like the shubunkin it needs to be even bigger. This article explains: https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... -size-life-expectancy.htm
Cameron920 Cameron920
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 25/6 16:46
Re: Concern for my two fishes health! #3
22 litres is way too small for fancy goldfish, I'd see if you could give them back to your lfs or move them to a much larger tank/pond.

Every new fish keeper makes the same mistake and trust me they will have a short and miserable life.
allanahd061 allanahd061
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 25/6 19:24
Re: Concern for my two fishes health! #4
I ordered a water test and esha exit online a few days ago and they should be here soon! I have done an extra water change and added some benifical bacteria, along with increasing aeration in the tank. I had a feeling the tank was to small and will definitely upgrade it. What size do you recommend? Unfortunately my black goldfish passed this morning so now it’s just the three left:( The shubunkin seems to have less spots but there are still a few. How do i treat the blood streaks or will they heal as I make adaptations? Thank you so much for the reply!!
allanahd061 allanahd061
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 25/6 19:30
Re: Concern for my two fishes health! #5
Thank you for your reply! The fish are quite young and small, that’s why i thought to put them in a tank of this size until they got a little bigger, but i was wrong. I’ll definitely be upgrading the size of my tank as soon as possible!
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/6 20:33
Re: Concern for my two fishes health! #6
Sorry to read about the black goldfish.

The Fluval Roma 240-litre, Eheim Vivaline 240-litre or Juwel Rio 240-litre tanks are long-length ones for their volume and so are ideal for goldfish, as well as these being reputable brands - go for this size at the very minimum (and do not be tempted to add any more fish even if they seem small in their environment to begin with). You might get some more inspiration, plus further ideas for larger tanks, from here https://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/aqu ... uarium-tanks-and-cabinets

It might be worth getting some eSHa 2000 too - this is a great medication for finrot and fungal conditions and can be used in tandem with eSHa Exit for stubborn conditions that aren't clear whether they are ich/whitespot +/- finrot.

In the meantime, daily water changes of ~50% ought to help considerably too.

Best of luck.
fishRfriends fishRfriends
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 26/6 6:47
Re: Concern for my two fishes health! #7
I'm sorry to say but that tank is too small for goldfish that could be the reason for the white spots I suggest daily waterchanges and treating the tank with melafix. try and find a large tank or holding tank second hand and move the goldfish in asap you can skip cycling if you use beneficial bacteria boosters. fancy goldfish like black moors shouldn't really be kept with comets like shubunkins but it can be done as long as you make sure the slower swimming black moor gets enough food. like other users suggested test the water if you don't have a test kit take it to you local fish store and see if they wil do it. Good luck