Jen1981 Jen1981
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 18/6 21:39
Help!! Need to know if this is definitely planaria #1
Hi, sorry I’m new here. Looking for some help on identifying planaria?

I have a 105 Litre planted tank with bog wood, all plants are in vitro apart from a recent addition, Anubias, bought from my Lfs. My blue velvets shrimp have since started to die off & the remaining shrimp are looking quite poorly.

4 otos all healthy
1 betta, white fungus or marks on his left fin but no treatments are solving the issue, been in the hospital tank twice, he’s not having any ill effects, happily swimming about
4 eight banded false barbs, originally 5 but the smallest one didn’t make it through the hospital/quarantine tank
6 emerald eye Rasboras
5 blue velvet shrimp, originally 10 but 5 have died & 3 have white marks on them, one has a white fluffy growth on its back & the worst affected has lost all her colour & looks black inside
1 nerite snail currently in the hospital tank while I applied wormer plus to the main tankyesterday.

No ammonia, all other readings have checked out, no nitrates etc, ph sitting at 7.1.

So all of a sudden these little white worms appeared on the glass a couple of days ago when I found another dead shrimp, checked out google search, a couple of photos looked similar to mine & all day detritus worms.
Followed advice online & took everything out the tank that I could & done a good gravel vacuum ( which I do once a week anyway but maybe not to the extent of removing all bog wood) done probably about 40% water change, never fed anyone for about 48 hrs. Well the worms just bloomed.
I fished out my macro lens & to me they look like planaria, another couple of smaller organisms but couldn’t get the camera to focus.
Went to my local store & asked for Esha next but he recommended the fish wormer plus & to remove me snail.
I have done that last night but still have worms, does anyone know how long it takes for these little suckers to die, I’m convinced this may have helped kill my shrim although can’t be certain, I highly doubt the rest will make it 🙁!!

Attach file:

jpeg  805492F8-B246-47B1-A7CF-028017FD28D4.jpeg (912.49 KB)
22422_5d0959a4a4933.jpeg 4032X3024 px
Jen1981 Jen1981
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 18/6 22:06
Re: Help!! Need to know if this is definitely planaria #2
This is the first picture I had taken, to the naked eye just white tiny marks on the tank till I seen them move 🤭

Attach file:

jpeg  7523160E-24C0-4CE8-A053-1F49FFD0B44E.jpeg (2,178.84 KB)
22422_5d09605661a63.jpeg 4032X3024 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/6 6:45
Re: Help!! Need to know if this is definitely planaria #3
I'm not sure that these are planaria. Planaria have a definite head with a pair of eyes so I think these are detritus worms. Either way, the wormer should kill them. If they are detritus worms it's important not to overfeed and to vacuum the substrate regularly as leftover food causes their population to explode.

The symptoms your shrimp have don't sound like they would be caused by planaria either - it sounds like they have a fungal infection, possibly the same as your Betta has. When you've done the worm treatment, treat the tank with Esha 2000 to eradicate the fungus and fin rot. It is safe for shrimps, but remove the snails before treating,