Weatherman478 Weatherman478
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 29/5/2019 18:19
Stocking ideals for ultra hard water tank #1
Hi,
New poster here. I have kept tropical fish (guppies etc ) for many years. I recently upgraded to a Juwel Lido 200 ltr tank . As well as the the built in filter I have a JBL 1502 external filter connected to it. At the moment I have a couple of guppies in it which are getting very old and will not survive to much longer.
I would like to try some other fish however my water stats are as follow. My PH is 7.8-8.00 and my KH is 16 and my GH is 33. Can anyone advise what might be suitable in the size tank and water conditions ? I realise that my water rules out many of the soft water fish.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/5/2019 19:06
Re: Stocking ideals for ultra hard water tank #2
If you're interested in cichlids you could have a Malawi Mbuna set up, or Tanganyikan. For a more typical planted community the Three-spot gourami (Trichopodus trichopterus) and variants on it (Gold, Opaline and Silver) can all handle hard water and could be housed with a school or two of hard water tolerant barbs such as the Golden barb (Barbodes semifasciolatus), Rosy barb (Pethia conchonius), Odessa barb (Pethia padamya). Then there are the livebearers such as Swordtails, Platys, Guppies, Mollies and some less common ones such as the Limia species' or the Butterfly Goodeid (Ameca splendens).
Weatherman478 Weatherman478
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 30/5/2019 7:51
Re: Stocking ideals for ultra hard water tank #3
Thanks for that. I was hoping to breed some fish. So Does that rule some of those out ? The tank is only 71cm across would that be ok for African cichlids ? If so which sort and how many ?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/5/2019 9:19
Re: Stocking ideals for ultra hard water tank #4
Breeding the barbs and gouramis isn't really practical in a single tank as they are egg layers and will eat their own/each other's eggs. You'd need a separate spawning tank for that. Livebearers are easy to breed, but parents will eat them so you'd want lots of plants to allow a few to escape. However, at 76 cms the tank is too small for those gouramis, Odessa barbs and for swordtails,and goodeids from the livebearer list.

The tank is too small for anything from Lake Malawi, but there are possibilities for Tanganyikan cichlids, including breeding. You could either have a single species set up and breed any of the shell dwellers (Neolamprologus multifasciatus, N. ocellatus, N. similis) or Fairy cichlids (N. brichardi) or a smaller Julidochromis such as J. transcriptus. Those would all breed and won't eat their own young. You could also possibly have a group of shell dwellers plus a pair of J. transcriptus. They will still breed, but fewer fry will survive as they will eat each other's offspring.