(1) 2 »
wizardaire wizardaire
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 25/5 16:26
Running out of options #1
Hi all i am new to the forum but not to fishkeeping, Sorry but this is going to be a long post !! I run 6 tanks ranging from 90lt upto 450lt, about 9 weeks ago i bought 4 swordtails from my local fish store who has a great reputation, 1 female sword died during acclimatization so less than 2hrs after being bought but the other 3 all looked good except 1 male had a small white mark on his side, i kept them in a seperate tank for a week and asked the owner of what the white mark maybe (showed him a photo) he stated that it looked like it could be an old wound, fish were fine after a week so placed in a planted community 6ft tank, 3 weeks later the sword with the white patch had the patch turn into a lump then 2 within a day then day 3 they looked like open white raised sores, took him out and within 4hrs he died,I went back to shop i bought him from with pictures of the dead fish and they said it was lymphocystis which i have never heard of but they said that it was not fatal just didnt look great , then within 2 days i had fish showing signs of what looked like white fungus suddenly grow on them 1 day they were fine next day covered in it then day after dead :( i did 25% water change every other day for a week and run uv from day that i lost 1st fish after sword, did not help each day i was finding 1 or 2 new cases that would be moved out of tank (some euthanized due to being so bad, had to euthanize 5 fish in 1 day) this killed them so quick (most within 72hrs) that i had no time to treat but i did treat the main tank firstly with esha exit then esha 2000 and then both together and altho it has slowed it down it is not solving it, other tank where i move fish with signs of it is being treated with waterlife Myxazin but nothing is helping to get rid of it now i have found that (possibly through a net )it has now contaminated 2 other tanks, I am at a point where i really have no idea what to do to stop the spread no babies seem to be affected so far i have attached a picture of the latest girl that has the 1st signs of it have been treating the tank with esha 2000 for last 3 days which is stopping it from spreading as rapidly as it did with some of the others but is not getting rid of it, will be devasted if i lose this tank as it is my moscow black guppy colony :( any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Attach file:

jpg  61265184_372505326951715_1672621124472537088_n.jpg (102.78 KB)
22376_5ce96cb439bcc.jpg 1368X1824 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/5 18:55
Re: Running out of options #2
Due to the speed with which this is taking your fish I think what you have is a columnaris infection. Myxazin should cure it but may take more than one course. If it is a really stubborn case you will need specific antibiotics which are only available from a vet in the UK and he will need to take a scrape to identify the bacteria before prescribing.

The other possibility is saprolegnia, but I think that less likely, although it too can develop very fast, but would show as a much more fluffy/ cottony fungus. That can be treated with Waterlife Protozin.

You may want to Google both diseases for images to try and confirm which you have.
wizardaire wizardaire
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 26/5 10:49
Re: Running out of options #3
Thanks for your reply am using waterlife Myxazin in the quarantine tank and lost another fish today in there but rest are still alive after 3 days so that to me is a good sign :) would amoxacillan help if i got from my vet? if i finish 5 day course with Myxazin how long before i start a new course? need 50% water change between course?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/5 11:36
Re: Running out of options #4
The vet will almost certainly want to have a look under a microscope and identify the bacterium specifically as different types of bacteria require different antibiotics. If he confirms columnaris then the usual treatment is a combination of Kanplex and a nitrofurazone based medicine like Furan 2.

Regarding the second course of Myxazin, do a 50% water change before starting the second course one day after the end of the current course.
wizardaire wizardaire
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 26/5 12:15
Re: Running out of options #5
you can't get Kanplex and API Furan-2 here unless shipped from usa so wanted to know if amoxicillin from my vet would possibly treat or maybe they have Nitrofurazone in some form not sure will have to speak to my vet.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 26/5 12:39
Re: Running out of options #6
Your vet will be able to access the right meds - they are available here but only on vet prescription. Columnaris is caused by a gram-negative aerobic bacterium so amoxicillin would not be the best choice as it targets gram-positive bacteria with minimal effect on gram-negative species.
Lozzerviner Lozzerviner
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 28/5 19:56
Poorly dwarf gourami #7
Sorry to but in on the post but I cant seem to find where to post my own, is my dwarf gourami poorly I think its Iridovirus disease, help?!

Attach file:

jpg  20190528_203957.jpg (2,861.98 KB)
22381_5ced92216b2ef.jpg 4032X3024 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 28/5 21:52
Re: Poorly dwarf gourami #8
Other things can masquerade as the iridovirus so can you tell us what his symptoms are and post test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, please?
Lozzerviner Lozzerviner
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 28/5 22:20
Re: Poorly dwarf gourami #9
We woke up today and it looks like a black mark appeared on his face and behind his fins quite big. He is still eating but not as active. I have a pair and the female is fine
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 29/5 5:11
Re: Poorly dwarf gourami #10
Test results please?