katlikesfish katlikesfish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/4 21:15
starting new tank - doing fishless cycle but when to add plants? #1
Got my second tank today, I will be doing fishless cycle again and will have some mature filter materials which will hopefully speed up process...
Question is: I want to have nicely scaped tank - rocks,plants, moss, driftwood... thinking of using plants substrate with sand on top. WHEN DO I ADD THOSE? from the start or half way thru cycle? after cycle finished before fish?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/4 22:34
Re: starting new tank - doing fishless cycle but when to add plants? #2
Get your substrate and hardscape in first, add plants at any time during the cycle to give them a chance to root before fish go in.
katlikesfish katlikesfish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/4 9:22
Re: starting new tank - doing fishless cycle but when to add plants? #3
Thank you fish lady, I am thinking about plant nutrition with to up of gravel or sand on top, the more I read about it thye more I think it can cause algea grow because of all the minerals... would you think it is better to just go with round gravel and get those fertilizer tabs to put near roots once plants are in?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 7/4 17:42
Re: starting new tank - doing fishless cycle but when to add plants? #4
If you're going for the fully planted look with high-output lighting, CO2 etc., use a planting substrate. For the easier plants and a less intensive set up, root tabs under gravel/sand are perfect.