be4con be4con
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/3 19:23
White ulcerative lesions on rasbora, already lost a danio #1
Hi

I have a bit of an emergency issue. I came back from a week's holiday a few days ago to find one of my golden zebra danios had a swollen abdomen. It was really bright, eating well was social and interactive with the other fish and didn't have any buoyancy issues or pine coning of the scales.

I wasn't sure if she was maybe just full of eggs, so given her otherwise healthy demeanor I monitored the situation. Pretty much overnight her abdomen went down significantly but she developed a large (2-3mm) ulcerative lesion on her ventrum at around the level of the gills, this worsened rapidly and this morning i found her dead in the tank - really acute deterioration, as she was still eating and behaving normally last night.

Today I have noticed a couple of lesions on one of my rasboras. Yesterday I did notice a slight loss of pigmentation but no lesion, but today there is a swelling with what looks like it may be a central ulcer. Again the rasbora is behaving normally, schooling and eating etc.

My tank is a 68L hexagonal tank, and it's been set up for about a year. I tested the water when I came back from my holidays and ammonia and nitrite were both zero, nitrates were around 35 (tap water here is around 8-10). I did a 40% water change when I came home - normally I do 20% weekly but with the danio being potentially sick I thought I better do more. Water temp is 76F

I have 5 harlequin rasboras, 2 endlers, 5 dwarf corys (there were 3 but they bred recently), 2 more zebra danios, 2 ghost shrimp, a couple of nerite snails and a bunch of assassin snails. The tank is moderately planted, with a large air stone and a carbon/wool filter plus ceramic rings. No new plants or livestock for at least 4 months. There haven't been any major livestock changes but in the past 3 months I have also lost another zebra danio (deformed from when I acquired him - bend spine, so always been considered a bit of a weakling) and an endler - they just disappeared without warning - on each occasion I never saw them ill, just found they were missing one day.

The only possible new stressor I can see is that whilst I was away my automatic feeder failed at some point, I think they may have had up to around 4 days without feed, but I wouldn't normally be concerned by that. I usually feed once daily, but I tend to keep feeds on the light side.

I'm thinking this is bacterial rather than parasitic or fungus but my experience of fish diseases is pretty limited so any help and advice will be gratefully received by me and my little buddies. I've tried to get a photo but I'm not sure how helpful you will find the one I got.

Thanks in advance

Attach file:

jpg  rasbora white ulcer.jpg (123.80 KB)
22242_5c7ecda86c693.jpg 640X480 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/3 8:53
Re: White ulcerative lesions on rasbora, already lost a danio #2
Hi

I can't really see the problem area too well, but the most likely cause is bacterial. Treat with Esha 2000 (this will also deal with any fungal issues).
be4con be4con
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 6/3 9:32
Re: White ulcerative lesions on rasbora, already lost a danio #3
Thanks, I saw you suggest that on another thread for bacterial infection so I ordered some whilst I was awaiting responses. Hopefully that will deal with the issue.
be4con be4con
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 16/3 13:59
Re: White ulcerative lesions on rasbora, already lost a danio #4
So, unfortunately I lost the raspora. I also lost both endlers (one just went missing suddenly, the other euthanased) and all 3 died during the treatment cycle with the Esha 2000 so it looks like it arrived too late.

I euthanased the endler and took the opportunity to examine it (failed to take pictures though - stupid me). The endler went the same way as the danio - developed dropsy suddenly, abdomen went down just as suddenly but at the same time developed a large ulcer on the ventrum. It is almost as though the abdominal swelling had ruptured through the ventral body wall.

I am left with 4 raspora, my corys and 2 danio. I've done 2 full 3 day courses of the esha - the 2nd finished Thursday night, and I returned my snails to the tank this morning. The fish, snails and shrimp that remain all look perky and healthy. I can't see any visible lesions. Water quality is good and my next water change is tomorrow.

This has been a miserable couple of weeks, but I hope I am at the end of it.

What I need to know now is how long to leave it before restocking. I'm conscious that the danios and the rasporas are now in very small groups which will cause stress so I'd like to get them back up toe schools of 6 as soon as possible.

What would you suggest as a time lag for that and is there anything else I need to do before restocking? I don't have a quarantine tank, and don't really have the space for one, but if the general consensus is that it is essential I'll find the space and buy the kit.

Thanks for any help and advice.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/3 21:47
Re: White ulcerative lesions on rasbora, already lost a danio #5
I'd give it a couple of weeks to be sure the tank is infection-free before re-stocking. Quarantine is advisable, but I appreciate it's not always practical. A simple and cheap solution to quarantining is to use a plastic storage box (the "Really Useful" boxes are good). Get an appropriately sized heater for it and a small filter. When you need to use it, take a bit of the media from your main filter to put in the QT filter which will give you some beneficial bacteria to cycle the fish waste. When quarantine is over you can pack it away until next time.