rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/1 1:46
Everything has gone wrong #1
After getting our tank under control when we first got it , everything has gone wrong. a couple of weeks ago I added four honey gourami's to our tank . we now have two, I believe that hte bigger one was attacking or chasing them or its one of the mollies we have.

I also a coupleof weeks ago added a java fern and another plant (we now have 5 in a 150l tank.

i had a ntrate spike, which after 50% water changes every couple of days resolved it selve then I've just had an amonia spike, which i put amonia remover in as i was using esha in case ther ewas a bacterial infection.

i was advised to increase the tank temperature to 30 but i'm only at 27.5 atm to increase slowly.

I did a water test yesterday had 0.25 amonia (it used to between 0 and 0.25) and 0 nitrates.

just now I have done a test again, after betta died and it was

amonia 0.25
nitrite 0.25 (never had this
nitrate 0.25

could one of the new plants be causing this issue. I'm about to do a water change now.

On top of this i've notice some of the cardinals are losing their blue colour , .

i'm not sure what has gone wrong or which plants to remove .

please help.

in the tank we currently have

1 bristlenose plec
amano shrimp
3 wizard (i think) snails
1 gold dust molly
3 dalmation mollys
2 white mollies

2 pengiun tetras
1 dwarf gourami
2 rose guouramis
3 black phantom tetra (i think thats them)
6 ginger tetras
6 rummy nose tetras
approximately 15 caridnal neon tetras

as well as 3 cory dorys.

we have a 150 l tank. (originally before we had neon tetra disease we had 20 in total) (that was a couple of months ago)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/1 10:56
Re: Everything has gone wrong #2
The plants couldn't cause this.

Have you cleaned your filter media recently? If you have, how did you do it? Or have you replaced any of it?

Don't raise the temperature - I've no idea why that was advised, but it will make things worse if you have ammonia/nitrite in the water as it will make it hard for the fish to get enough oxygen. 27.5C is too warm for your stock anyway so I would gradually reduce to 25C.
rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 26/1 11:29
Re: Everything has gone wrong #3
ohhhhhhhh

about 2 weeks ago, I had carbon filter removed. So I put that back in.

I changed over the clearmax bag. I replaced one white filter media (goes at the top) as that had given up the ghose .

And I changed two of the four long white sponges.

I kept the black sponges the ceramic bio bits and two large white sponges

R x
rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 26/1 13:26
Re: Everything has gone wrong #4
i was told to raise the temperature as it will kill off bacteria that causes diseases etc , as I thought the betta2 might have ich has had white spot on nose then it was gone, . i have exit and esha 2000 ,
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/1 14:10
Re: Everything has gone wrong #5
30C won't kill bacteria - you need boiling water (not fish safe!) for that. Raising the temperature can speed up the life cycle of ich, but 30C won't eradicate it. For ich Esha Exit and leaving the tank at a normal temperature is most effective and also safer for fish (warmer water holds less oxygen).

The ammonia and nitrite spikes have been caused by changing filter sponges - when you threw out the sponges you threw out much of the good bacteria too. Don't replace the sponges unless they are literally falling apart (and then only one at a time), just rinse them in a bucket of tank water to clean and unclog them.
rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 26/1 14:35
Re: Everything has gone wrong #6
oh nooooooooooooooooooooooxxx I killed my daughter's betta then :( now i feel so bad xx and an idiot lol

so the tank is on its way down to 25, (going to do a 50% water change, then treat with exit x )

how long before the bacteria get back to where it should be and should I keep doing 25% water changing every other day ?

R
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 26/1 16:53
Re: Everything has gone wrong #7
Keep up the partial water changes for as long as you have ammonia or nitrite showing on tests. It should be only a few days before the bacteria grow enough to deal with it again.

Bear in mind that as the tank is quite heavily stocked, nitrate will rise quite quickly so you may find you need more than a 25% weekly change to keep on top of it.
rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 26/1 20:17
Re: Everything has gone wrong #8
I did a 50% water change today , and as I did I noticed that a couple of the fish , rummy nose, neon tetras were lying on the bottom not moving but their gills were moving.

i got a salt dip ready as the tank was almost full, and when i went back to look they were all swimming around (that was very sccarey ) .

I did a water test after the water change and got

amonia 0.25
nitrate somewhere between 0 and 0.25
nitrite a beautiful zero.

I usually do somewhere between 25 and 50 water change each week only because I get lost in sucking the stuff up from the bottom (i have a python) and realise when I'm halfway through I'm already at 25% .

I'm going to test every day , and the moment there is a nitrogen or nitrate rise I will do a water change.

thank you so much for you help xxx
rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 27/1 10:15
Re: Everything has gone wrong #9
So checked the tank this morning. everyone present and correct, still swimming around.

tested the water

Amonia 0.25 BUT tested tap water and it comes out as Amonia 0.25 so presume have false reading again for that.

Nitrite ZERO

PH 7.8

Nitrate 5

Have hoovered the gravel and picked up some debris and shrimp growing case.

Will ask about feeding in a separate thread.

I've put the tank in treatment now with Exit, temperature is down to 26.8 (still on way down to 25. )

Am going to test daily now xx

R