Bigbird1711 Bigbird1711
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 21/1 20:42
Do I need to add anymore ammonia source #1
Hi I am new to fish keeping and at present I am doing a fishless cycle. I was instructed at the begining to get the ammonia started by using a Raw Prawn which I did with readings of 4ppm.I took out the prawn a couple of weeks back after the ammonia readings started to come down and the nitrite levels started to rise.The nitrite level has been 1ppm for two weeks now although ammonia is zero I am wondering do I need to add more of a ammonia source I.e flakes or should I let it run it's course.Any help would be appreciated.(It's a 20 gallon tank and I'm at week 8)Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/1 23:25
Re: Do I need to add anymore ammonia source #2
Unfortunately, if you've removed your ammonia source the ammonia eating bacteria will starve to death. Flakes don't produce ammonia reliably or quickly enough (neither will a prawn at this stage) so get some household ammonia and follow this guide:

https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm
Bigbird1711 Bigbird1711
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 22/1 19:59
Re: Do I need to add anymore ammonia source #3
Hi Thanks for the link with the info that's great. I have had to order some ammonia of Amazon which everyone recommends as no one stocks it locally and it should be here in a couple of days.Iv'e been patient enough for the past 8 weeks so another few weeks won't kill me haha. I will let you know how I get on.Thanks again