Trobol Trobol
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 18/1 23:15
Variatus Platy Strange Behaviours (unsure if normal or not) #1
Hi, I have just bought 4 Variatus Platy Fish for my family 3 females and 1 male, I just added them to the tank which has been cycling for quite a while prior, one of my females is hiding in the same corner while my other fish swim and explore ( I figure this is because it is a new home and a bit stressful) not sure if this will faze out or not and also my male and a female who are quite active will pop up to the surface for about 30 seconds occasionally so im not sure if this is an oxygen issue as the other 2 havent done it at all so any advice on what that may be i.e exploring or something would be much appreciated :) p.s i know i may seem paranoid but just want to do things properly as ive never had fish before
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 18/1 23:44
Re: Variatus Platy Strange Behaviours (unsure if normal or not) #2
Can you post back with the tank size and test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, please? How did you cycle the tank?
Trobol Trobol
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 19/1 0:17
Re: Variatus Platy Strange Behaviours (unsure if normal or not) #3
I havent got a test kit at the moment but I will be buying one tomorrow asap to be safe, the tank is 24L and for cycling I was advised when buying the tank to run the filter and oxygen for a few days so have done that before buying the fish, water was treated also with conditioner, hoping pets at home havent given me wrong advice...

Thanks
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/1 13:07
Re: Variatus Platy Strange Behaviours (unsure if normal or not) #4
That is indeed shockingly poor advice that you've been given but unfortunately not that uncommon either.

In order that you can understand fishless cycling better, it might help to think of it as preparing the filter to become ready to be able to process the fish's waste (ammonia). This article explains the process - and what you ought to have done https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... hless-cycling-article.htm , rather than simply running the filter which has achieved nothing other than ensuring that its motor, etc, is actually functioning.

A liquid-based test kit is absolutely crucial for seeing you through the cycling process - not test strips which are not sufficiently accurate and the general 5/6-in-1 ones don't even have the crucial ammonia test on it while the strip-based ammonia test is notoriously difficult to read.

Generally, the problem can be addressed as follows https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... ammonia-nitrite-spike.htm (but safer not to put the fish through this fish-in cycling process). HOWEVER, given that a 24-litre tank is not suitable for variatus platies - their requirements are here https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... sheet.php?caresheetID=202 and http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/xiphophorus-variatus/ - you would be quite within your rights, for welfare reasons as well as being given inappropriate advice and mis-sold fish unsuitable for the tank size, to return the fish to where you obtained them, showing them the good quality evidence within these links of what the species require in terms of minimum tank size as well as what fishless cycling involves, etc.

Your decision then is to EITHER continue to fishless cycle the tank/filter but in the knowledge that it's only suitable for snails and shrimp rather than fish OR buy a suitable-sized tank and cycle its filter and then buy new fish whose requirements you can offer in terms of tank size (etc) once that process is complete.

Hope that's helpful.
Trobol Trobol
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 23/1 16:56
Re: Variatus Platy Strange Behaviours (unsure if normal or not) #5
Thank you for the advice I appreciate it! Have been checking on my fish constantly and have had someone come look at the fish today as unfortunatly the female platy i had that was hiding and not eating passed away this morning which really brought my family down, the fish was far skinnier than the others and the water was tested for everything using a liquid test as advised on here and the water is actually doing quite well with nothing to worry about, my other fish are all doing 1000 times better now and im looking at getting a bigger tank too, again thank you for the advice it has came in handy especially for the future! :)