helptoall helptoall
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 12/1 11:55
Sick guppies #1
Hi, i have a 70L tank with 10 guppies and 1 pleco, external filter 600 l/h water temp 26C water parameters are 0,0,7. WC every week 25%. 18 days ago one of the guppies became bloated. i moved him to quarantee and try to treat with Furanol with no success.His bloating was uneven, one side more bloated then the other,and ive assumed it was a tumor.He passed after 3 days since the first signs of bloat. Since then ive monitored the tank very carefully for any signs , but non appeared. Today iv found one of the guppies dead and another one laying on the bottom with raised scales{the other 2 didnt showed this sign.} last night they were all active, all came to eat with no signs of illness.. I would appreaciate any help and advice about what is it and what to do to treat and prevent more infections. thank you
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/1 12:56
Re: Sick guppies #2
What's the water hardness (gH)?
helptoall helptoall
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 12/1 13:08
Re: Sick guppies #3
i dont have a kit for that
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/1 13:19
Re: Sick guppies #4
If you live in the UK, try inputting your postcode into your water company's website to find out the water hardness level in CaCO3 or German degrees hardness; that ought to give us an idea, even if you don't have a test kit just now.
helptoall helptoall
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 12/1 13:44
Re: Sick guppies #5
The tank is setup for 4 mounth with no problems, why do you think the GH is a problem? if it was wouldent i see problem much earlier? im not from the uk
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/1 14:35
Re: Sick guppies #6
Guppies are a hard water fish. In soft water they can suffer the kind of problems you're seeing and eventually die. The problems related to soft water are long term and cumulative so take time to actually manifest.
helptoall helptoall
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • Posted on: 13/1 13:40
Re: Sick guppies #7
GH was around 10
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/1 15:25
Re: Sick guppies #8
Guppies' requirements are for a range of 143-536 ppm, so your water is within range (GH of 10 converts to 178.5) albeit on the lower side of that. [My apologies for forgetting that you lived in Israel and not the UK in my earlier post.]

The guppy with the raised scales sounds as though it might have been dropsy - was the whole body covered in raised scales or just a section? If the fish become bloated and especially if their scales raise which suggest it might be dropsy, then giving them Epsom salt / magnesium sulphate baths can sometimes help. However, if you think there might be a bacterial infection causing the bloat problems and the dropsy, then quarantining the affected ones to treat for bacterial infections might be best.