AlexWalker0398 AlexWalker0398
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 9/1 13:00
What Cichlid is this? #1
Hello, I'm asking this on behalf of my girlfriend who doesn't currently have access to a computer. I myself only have a basic understanding of fishkeeping so this is all I know:

She has a cichlid and isn't quite sure what breed it is. They sift through the sand at the bottom of her tank and either have a horizontal broken stripe or a solid vertical stripe at the back of the fish. I personally thought they looked a bit like Jewel Cichlids but she said they were more closely related to Gephagus but are not part of the Geophagus genus. The one with the vertical stripe also has some red colouring on it's head.

I've attached images in a .zip folder to this post as it wouldn't let me upload individual images. It's also worth nothing that these fish are still juvenile so they are not at their full size.

Thanks for the help!

Attach file:

zip Images.zip Size: 1,049.53 KB; Hits: 33
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/1 15:41
Re: What Cichlid is this? #2
Not 100% sure because the fish looks very stressed, but bearing that in mind I think it's a Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus).