ilovefish22 ilovefish22
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Midlothian
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 30/12 19:50
would it be ok to mix a goldfish with platys? #1
I have a 70 litre cold water tank. It has been set up for about 4 years. I have a fluval filter. I have one 4 year old platy and two six month old platy who are about a centimetre long.
My water readings are mostly consistent at:
PH 7.6 , high range PH 7.4, ammonia zero, nitrate 0 ppm, nitrite 0.
I do a 30% water change weekly and change filter medium when I have to usually about after four months.

The problem is that my son has a gold fish that is approx. two inches long. It is in a cold water 30litre tank. He does not have the room for a bigger tank. The fish seems distressed and I want to help.

My local pet store says that I could rehome this fish that it would be ok with my 3 platys. However i am worried that it might eat them especially as two of them are fry and are still small at about one centimetre long. I also don't want to stress out my fish.

The store will not accept the fish back. I just wondered if anyone else has a mix of gold fish and platys?
what do you think?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 31/12 12:04
Re: would it be ok to mix a goldfish with platys? #2
It may work as a temporary measure, but long-term the goldfish needs a much bigger tank. 180 litres - 3ft long if a fancy type and really an outdoor pond if a common type.
ilovefish22 ilovefish22
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Midlothian
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/1 20:07
Re: would it be ok to mix a goldfish with platys? #3
ok, many thanks for your reply.