Lskillan Lskillan
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/12 22:05
Is there something wrong with my Angelfish #1
Hi all,

We currently have 2 Angelfish, I assume we have a male and a female as they have laid eggs in the past.
The smaller of the 2 we think is a female, which has recently developed a sore, or possible wound from an attack off another fish near to the base of its pectoral fin, the larger Angel does appear to chase and bully the smaller one. I have attached a picture, I'm hoping this is something that will heal, and not a disease of any sort, has anyone seen this before? A local store and a friend recommended aquarium salts, which I've added today.

Any other help greatly appreciated, Lee

Some current tank stats, we have 2 Angels, 7 Guppies, 4 Dwarf Gourami, and a Bristlenose Pleco
Tank size 90L
Sand substrate
Ammonia 0
Chlorine 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 25-50
dGH 5
dKH 6
PH 6.8
Temp 76 F

We only have artificial plants, I change around 30L of water every 5 days to keep the Nitrate down using a syphon also to clean the poo from the substrate, often adding some bicarbonate of soda to new de-chlorinated water as we live in a soft water area, every couple of days I use a gravel cleaner to keep the tank clean.

Attach file:

jpg  angelfish (Copy).jpg (61.33 KB)
22087_5c269dffc24a4.jpg 480X640 px
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/12 22:48
Re: Is there something wrong with my Angelfish #2
That does look like a sore or injury either from a tankmate or possibly heater burn. Water quality being kept in optimum condition (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrates or no more than 20 above tap water nitrates level) is crucial and hopefully this will heal in time.

You might find this https://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... sheet.php?caresheetID=125 helpful, in particular about minimum tank size, so it would be worth exploring a tank upgrade.

What are the water hardness readings from the tap? Your water/utility company website may be able to provide specific details of water hardness (CaCO3 or degrees German) for your postcode. This will help us determine whether you need something such as bicarbonate of soda or limestone rock or coral in the filter. The guppies are the fish which may need harder water but the other fish ought to be fine in softer water.
Lskillan Lskillan
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/12 23:36
Re: Is there something wrong with my Angelfish #3
Hi, thanks for the reply.

The heater is in an external filter so not heater burn, it does seem to be an injury. Thanks for the advice on tank size we are already talking about an upgrade to a 230L tank we have seen in the new year, I will probs also go for some plants too if we get the new tank, to help with the Nitrates.

Postcode search on United Utilities states following:

Water Hardness Clarke (English) = 7, online conversion to German = 5.62
CaCo3 = 100 ppm
Nitrate 9.41, so 20 above tap water gives me circa 30 for the tank, test strip colour between 25/50

I have two brands of test strip, so my readings for hardness seem to be correct with suppliers figures for my area. As for Nitrates the tank is due for a water change at the weekend, so No3 usual drops back down to <20 once done. Ammonia tests have been done with API fluid test kit, and I also have an in tank Ammonia alert as a permanent visual warning.

What are your thoughts on continuing with bicarb when doing the water change, I have read 1 tsp in 100L raises approx 2 dKH, so I usually add 1/3 tsp to my 30L water changes in an attempt to keep the figures up.

Also as I have just added aquarium salts, should I add more when doing this weekends water change, to help with the healing process of my Angelfish? ie enough salts for the 30L of new water.

Thanks for the advice. Lee
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 29/12 20:11
Re: Is there something wrong with my Angelfish #4
If I were you, I'd be inclined to do more frequent and larger water changes rather than dose with salt, as keeping the water in the best possible condition is key. However, if you can isolate the angelfish in a separate tank with heater and filter (moving across a portion of mature media i.e. foam/sponge to ensure the hospital tank's filter is cycled), then it would do no harm dosing salt as it wouldn't be unnecessary salt dosage for the other fish.

Great about the tank upgrade in the offing.

For the fish you have, their hardness requirements are as follows:
* angelfish, 0-15 dH (German), so your water's 5.62 is fine for them
* dwarf gourami, 2-18 dH (German), so your water's 5.62 is also fine for them
* bristlenose plec, 18-268 CaCO3, so your water's 100 is also fine
* guppies, 143-536 CaCO3, so your water's 100 is too soft for them, especially as the optimum level is to be somewhere in the middle of that range

1 degree KH = 17.848 CaCO3 (source - Wikipedia) and so, even with the bicarbonate of soda which would be helpful, this isn't actually increasing it enough for the guppies but, from some general browsing online about the specifics, it's also not good to increase it more than 2 degrees KH in a 24-hour period. Is it an option for you at all to have a second tank purely for the hard water fish? For example, once you upgrade the tank and move over the soft-water fish over to the 230L, you could keep the guppies in the 90-litre tank and perhaps have coral sand so that the tank is more in line with their requirements.

Hope this is helpful.