Piranhaman Piranhaman
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 15/12 13:21
End of fishless cycle question? #1
Hi this is my first post on the website, I have been doing a fishless cycle using the guide from this site using pure ammonia for a month and the tank has finished cycling.

The tank is 125gal, test readings after 12 hours after adding ammonia up to 3ppm is Ammonia is 0ppm
Nitrite is 0ppm
The Nitrate is 80 to 100ppm as I haven't done any water change yet but doing a massive water change today to bring nitrates down as I'm getting 5 juvenile red belly piranhas tomorrow from fish alive in durham.

My question is after i do the water change do i add more ammonia to keep bacteria alive? Or should I just leave it? I will be getting the fish about this time tomorrow and not sure if I should add ammonia or not.
Thanks for any advice.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/12 15:46
Re: End of fishless cycle question? #2
If you're getting fish very soon after the end-of-cycle water change (i.e. within 24/48 hours) there's no need to redose.
Piranhaman Piranhaman
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 15/12 18:51
Re: End of fishless cycle question? #3
Thanks for reply.
I've done a 80% water change and nitrate is still high at 80 ppm, should i do more water changes to bring nitrates down?
Also will i have to add more ammonia to keep bacteria alive
Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/12 19:16
Re: End of fishless cycle question? #4
Change some more as 80ppm is high for fish - try to get it close to the level in your supply. If you're getting the fish tomorrow there's no need to add more ammonia as the bacteria will be fine until then, after which the fish will supply the ammonia.
Piranhaman Piranhaman
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 15/12 19:33
Re: End of fishless cycle question? #5
Thanks
I forgot to say i will delay getting the fish tomorrow until next weekend if i have to so I can get the nitrate down to good levels.

Nitrate at supply is 5 ppm
So should i continue to add ammonia to tank and doing daily water changes until nitrate has falling to good levels? Sorry for all the question just what to get it right.

Thanks for help so far.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 15/12 20:29
Re: End of fishless cycle question? #6
Do a really large water change - around 80% to get nitrate down. Dose ammonia as normal over the next week and then do another very large change 1-2 days before getting fish to reduce nitrate again. Hope that helps :)
Piranhaman Piranhaman
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 17/12 12:21
Re: End of fishless cycle question? #7
Thanks very much fishlady for all your help much appreciated

Nitrate after doing another 80% water change is sitting at 40 ppm so i'm getting there, so will be getting them this weekend for sure.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 17/12 16:24
Re: End of fishless cycle question? #8
You're welcome Hope all goes well for you next weekend.