Blink Blink
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 30/10/2018 0:06
Gasping and swimm bladder problems but O2 is fine #1
I have a 240l aquarium, that's home to 2 medium fancy goldfish and 2 small fancy goldfish.
It has a 306 Fluval external filter. Standard media - sponge, BioMax and charcoal.
Decorated with lots of plants and a few large natural stones.

I've had this tank set up for about a year and struggled with crashing PH. (I 've never had that before in my other tanks.) After some advice form forums and from a local supplier I gradually changed most of my sand substrate for coral. And this has completely sorted out the PH. All the water levels are now spot on.

But now I have a new problem. 2 of the goldfish are often gasping at the surface that causing them buoyancy problems - not flipping over, but tail higher than head. The other two show no signs of this.

Their food has always been a mix of Tetra Goldfish Gold Japan (sinking), peas, and blood worms. They have never had floating food.

There are two large bubblers in the tank, plus decent water flow from the filter. I have checked the o2 levels and they are also fine.

So not sure what can be making them gasp for air?

Any ideas/advice very welcome.

Blink
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/10/2018 9:23
Re: Gasping and swimm bladder problems but O2 is fine #2
It's possible that the actual issue is with their swim bladders and the gasping is caused by the effort of trying to right themselves.

In fancies, their deformed shape can mean the swim bladder is unable to inflate correctly. Nitrate above 20ppm can also cause swim bladder issues in susceptible fish so if it's above that, try doing water changes to get it down. Pre-soak their food too, as sometimes pellets can swell inside them and cause pressure on the swim bladder.
Blink Blink
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 30/10/2018 21:15
Re: Gasping and swimm bladder problems but O2 is fine #3
Thank you for your reply.

The ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all 0. The PH is 7.6 and the O2 is about 8.

When I feed them pellets they are soaked.

I agree this is probably something physical, but don't know if /how to treat.

A bit more on their swim patterns:

First thing in the morning, all 4 are swimming fine. Recently the two large males have been chasing the smaller female (she is the one most effected by swim bladder problems). The males have shows white gill spots so I'm guessing this is amorous behaviour, rather than bullying.

After work, around 5 pm, they are usually mostly swimming fine, though the small female is sometimes slightly squiffy.

Then during the evening the problem starts, so by late at night, about midnight, she is often swimming well over 45' angle. Also the largest male sometimes has similar, but no way near as bad, problems.

Then when morning comes they are back to the beginning, swimming fine again..

Their light is on from 2pm till 11pm and there are lots of plants.

If you look close at the small female you can see her belly is a bit swollen, on her left towards the back.

I'm going to try to get some videos to show they changing behaviour.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 31/10/2018 9:10
Re: Gasping and swimm bladder problems but O2 is fine #4
The only thing I can think of is that as this happens late at night when the lights have been on for the longest time, maybe the lights are heating up the water? As the water temperature rises there's less dissolved oxygen available for the fish, leading to gasping at the surface and then from that to the buoyancy problems.
Blink Blink
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 1/11/2018 22:41
Re: Gasping and swimm bladder problems but O2 is fine #5
the temperature doesn't get above 24' C in the evening.

I have made some videos and a playlist that shows the progression from normal swimming after work to 90' position in eve. Also a close up of her belly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1uo ... ylists?view_as=subscriber

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Blink
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 3/11/2018 11:15
Re: Gasping and swimm bladder problems but O2 is fine #6
To me, the behaviour looks like it's something they're choosing to do rather than a problem they can't control. The fact that it only manifests in the evening means it's unlikely to be a physical problem with the fish, which would be present all of the time. I wonder if they're just looking for more food - what time do you feed them?
Blink Blink
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 3/11/2018 11:54
Re: Gasping and swimm bladder problems but O2 is fine #7
I feed them a mix of soaked tetra goldfish Japan pellets, peas and bloodworms - morning, afterwork and early evening.

It's an interesting thought it might be intentional, though I don't think she is looking for food. Often when she's at 90', it's not near the bottom but in some plants. Could she be trying to find a comfortable sleeping position?

Also she definitely more swollen towards the back end recently. Could it possible be eggs?

http://cateonline.co.uk/fish.jpg

(the image link button here isn't working for me, so try this link)