Prebzzy7 Prebzzy7
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/9/2018 16:40
Gourami disease I cant find help for anywhere!! #1
Hi guys,

I have a 135L freshwater aquarium stocked with cory's, tetra's, guppies otto's and a single gourami. He was fine but has now developed a wart like appearance above his mouth which i think is also inside since his mouth seems to be opened slightly.

My water parameters are great [no ammonia] and I just did a 50% water change when I realised something was wrong. My guppy gave birth recently too so im pretty sure its not to do with water quality.

Ive considered taking him out and treating separately but I have no clue what to use as Ive struggled to find similar situations.

Any help will be appreciated and if theres any information Ive missed out, ill be happy to provide.

Thanks in advance!!
Prebzzy7 Prebzzy7
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 26/9/2018 16:42
Re: Gourami disease I cant find help for anywhere!! #2
Heres a picture i was able to take.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_0492.jpeg (133.25 KB)
21746_5baba8fa3cf0c.jpeg 480X640 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/9/2018 16:54
Re: Gourami disease I cant find help for anywhere!! #3
This looks like lymphocystis, which is a viral disease and is unfortunately incurable. If the warts start to look infected you can treat with an antibacterial such as Esha 2000 or Waterlife Myxazin, but that will only treat secondary infections, not the underlying disease. Sadly, this may grow and spread, eventually making it impossible for him to eat. If that happens you will need to put him to sleep
Prebzzy7 Prebzzy7
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 26/9/2018 18:00
Re: Gourami disease I cant find help for anywhere!! #4
ah i was hoping it wouldnt have to get to that :( .
Is there a possiblity it'll spread to the other fish in the tank?

Thanks for your help.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/9/2018 18:26
Re: Gourami disease I cant find help for anywhere!! #5
It's not a very highly contagious disease and is more likely to take hold in some species and not others. Dwarf Gouramis are known to be susceptible. You may be lucky and find he is able to fight this off - it can happen, and the warts will drop off, but because it's around and in his mouth, the danger is that it will spread further before it recedes and that may be fatal because it will stop him eating. Fish don't die of lymphocystis itself but from complications arising from it.