(1) 2 3 4 »
helptoall helptoall
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 24/9/2018 15:06
Sick and meds averse reaction? #1
Hi, i have a jewel ciclid that was in a tank 2 other ciclids. He got bullied around and became very pale and then started to spit out the food which he hasnt been doing before. I moved him to a 60 L Quarantine, at first thinking that he might get better with some rest. He was spitting out the food so i switched to a very small pellets. Those he ate but only a few at a time. After 2 days he started to spit them as well. I also noticed that when he is trying to eat sometimes he shakes his head like it hurts to him. Yesterday i decided to start treating with meds and since i didnt know exactly what im treating i gavr him an overall treatment: Kanaplex,Furanol and levamisole-to cover parasites and bacteria.After giving the meds ive notice a stressed behavior from him including shakig and swimming rpidly. 2 hours later he was laying on his side. I started to do water changes, replacing about 90% in 2 hours.He is now swimming normaly but seems very very weak.
Just fr mentioning ive checked about these meds and they are supposingly ok to use together and also i did used them together before with no adverse react.
I dont know if it was overdosing or the mixture that cause him to be like this ,or that it was due to something else and i also have no idea what was wrong with him in the first place. I will appreciate any tips and help in diagnosing and for the next step to treat him. Thank you
helptoall helptoall
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 24/9/2018 21:02
Re: Sick and meds averse reaction? #2
He is lookin better now. but he has those twitches with his head again, like he's trying to shake something of him.This behavior is what making me think that he does have some kind of parasites.. i also read that some internal parasites can cause spitting.. What do you think my next steps should be? restart treatmen with levamisole? maybe metro? to wait more before medicating again? i think that metro has very low stress effect when using so maybe ill use that..He is lookin better now. but he has those twitches with his head again, like he's trying to shake something of him.This behavior is what making me think that he does have some kind of parasites.. i also read that some internal parasites can cause spitting.. What do you think my next steps should be? restart treatmen with levamisole? maybe metro? to wait more before medicating again? i think that metro has very low stress effect when using so maybe ill use that..
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/9/2018 10:09
Re: Sick and meds averse reaction? #3
All medications come with a certain amount of risk and potential side effects which is why we don't recommend using medication if you don't know what you're treating for. As he recovered rapidly with the water change it's very likely that the medication caused this. Even if medications can be used in combination, doing so increases the risk of medication-induced illness. I would simply monitor him for a few days and try to establish what is actually the problem before considering using any more medication.
helptoall helptoall
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 25/9/2018 13:12
Re: Sick and meds averse reaction? #4
you have any ideas what is the problem? the main symptoms are shaking of the head and spitting food and discoloration. when he ate the poop looked ok
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/9/2018 19:42
Re: Sick and meds averse reaction? #5
As Fishlady says, monitoring him for a few days without any medication ought to help us get to the root of what the problem is, so best to keep an eye on him and let us know how things have been in a couple of days' time. If the situation suddenly changes for the worse in the interim, though, let us know.
helptoall helptoall
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 25/9/2018 22:20
Re: Sick and meds averse reaction? #6
things already got worse he lost his color and started to spit put food then 3 dyas ago he stopped eating at all... I really dont think its the time to wait and i dont understand what it will give.. I dont a new pecial symptoms will pop , He will just be more lethargic
helptoall helptoall
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 26/9/2018 1:41
Re: Sick and meds averse reaction? #7
ok .. the fish now is showing alot of shaking and scratching behavior on decors..i saw him do it about 5-6 times in an hour.. what do you think? does it gives clues on the right treatment?
helptoall helptoall
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 26/9/2018 12:11
Re: Sick and meds averse reaction? #8
He regain his appetite but he isnt swallowing
He spits the food then trying again to eat a few times and spitting right after .. It seems that something in his mouht really pains him and he also breath a bit fast and shaking his head
helptoall helptoall
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 27/9/2018 1:25
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/9/2018 18:48
Re: Sick and meds averse reaction? #10
He may have something stuck in his mouth - maybe a piece of gravel?