(1) 2 3 »
rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 12/7/2018 12:58
Fish illnesses #1
Hi

I've notice today that a couple of my tetras have got the beginnings of finrot, so am treating with Esha 2000 . and one of the tetra's looks like he has fungus by his mouth, not sure if cotton mouth or just fungus.

My question is how often do fish get sick, we have a varied community tank and in the last 3 months have had

1 x swim bladder
1 x fungus from cut
1 x fungus on betta from catching himself on a tank decoration (not in there now)

now we have fin rot.

It feels like we're treating once a month ... Is this common, or should I be looking at something. The babies have gone back to the shop, so the bio load is now back to normal .

Any pointers xx

xx
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 12/7/2018 16:28
Re: Fish illnesses #2
Fish don't generally have a lot of sicknesses, you've just been unlucky with circumstances in a couple of cases (the cuts/damage). If your tetras have fin rot, keep an eye out in case there's some fin-nipping happening either by the tetras themselves or by the Betta. Nipped fins often develop fin rot.
rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 13/7/2018 0:34
Re: Fish illnesses #3
Delta our betta spends most of his time hiding inside our large head in the tank or his floating log, he stays away from other fish but I will keep an eye on them all next few days and see if I spot any fin nipping.

Oh I'm so glad you jsut think its a blip xxx

thanks xxx
rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 14/7/2018 11:15
Re: Fish illnesses #4
ok, I sat down and watched today looking for fin nipping.

I notice that about 5 of my tetras (no idea neon or cardinal) have fin rot/damage and two have the fluffy mouth thing! I thought it was one, but must have been seeing the same fish over again.

I am currently treating with Esha2000 but am on day 3 dose now, doesn't seem to be any change. Should I dose for 7 days ?

Have a pic of the fluffy mouth but it's not overly good as we can;t put high res pics here or large ones.

Do I have an oubreak are they all going to get it.

R

Attach file:

jpg  20180714_101549.jpg (65.15 KB)
21537_5b49cd502017b.jpg 439X329 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/7/2018 11:28
Re: Fish illnesses #5
Yes, do the extended course of Esha 2000, but be aware that cotton mouth is very hard to treat successfully so you may lose the ones that have that. It should be fully effective against the fin rot.
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/7/2018 17:32
Re: Fish illnesses #6
I'm assuming that your water quality was still as good / remained at optimum levels as previously ie 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, <20 nitrates (or <20 above tap water levels)?
rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 14/7/2018 18:10
Re: Fish illnesses #7
Ihaven't check , I became obsessed with it doing it daily. And now do it once a week. I was due a water change today but bcause of the treatment I didn't obviously . Will check it now x and let you know. xxx

Ok parameters are amonia 0 (gave false positive of 0.25 but so does the tapwater (thanks for that tip)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate is 10 (higher than normal)
PH 7.8

I'm trying to adjust how much I feed them, they had a fasting day yesterday but the shrimp when I put in the bottom feeder pellets all race out and grab one and carry around their own little food sack for a bit, which they didn't used to do . All the babies but 4 when back (although turns out one hid and we have 5 ) so the bio load is significantly relieved.

I put the feeder pellets in just now when the shrimp ran out all the tetras went for the bottom pellets too, that doesn't normally happen either. perhaps I'm now not feeding them enough x but that wouldn't account for the higher nitrate. It's a day over water change, and I aim for 30% each week but because I get so engrossed in cleaning the gravel with the python, or getting the flow right, i usually end up doing 40% .

Regarding the two fluffy mouth fish, I'm guessing if it doesn't get better it isn't fungus. Do I wait for them to die, or do I euthanise if they don't get better after extended treatment.

Sorry for so much info xxx

R
fcmf fcmf
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • Coldwater Adviser
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/7/2018 18:23
Re: Fish illnesses #8
One thought which occurs to me, in connection with the slight presence of ammonia in your tapwater, is whether or not you're using a dechlorinator that addresses chloramines as well as chlorine? In my area, chloramine is added to water, so I have to ensure that I use a dechlorinator which addresses this, otherwise I end up with an ammonia reading.

Personally, I would only ever recommend euthanasia if a fish absolutely is at death's door such as lying on their side on the bottom and very heavily breathing. If, after the extended treatment, they're still behaving relatively normally, interested in their environment, and eating well, then definitely not - it may be that the problems resolve themselves over time or that the condition can be lived with.

Hope that helps.
rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 14/7/2018 19:55
Re: Fish illnesses #9
sometimes it gives false readings sometimes it doesn't . so I tested the tap water like you suggested. and the colour was the same.

I use tap safe, so I would presume it did that. but guessing it probably doesn't. What do you use?

Good that I won't have to euth the fishies . Will it spread to others?

R x
rosebud2018 rosebud2018
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 15/7/2018 0:17
Re: Fish illnesses #10
yes mine does chloramines as well