nichos nichos
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 19/6/2018 9:33
Gold fish died #1
Hi,
11 years ago I inherited a small garden pond with a few goldfish (3-4" long).

In my ignorance I did nothing to it except the first 4 years twice I drained, cleaned & refilled with tap water & put back the 10 fish, Lily & Iris plant baskets.

Never fed the fish all these years & all seemed well, except a few weeks ago I found two bend dead ones.

The pond was drained, cleaned & refilled with tap water (No DE chlorinator) & put back the 6 fish, 6 Newts, two small frogs, & the Lily & Iris plant baskets.

I was advised at the local Pond AQUA & bought an all in one Laguna PowerClear Multi 3500/ with foam, bio brick filters & UV.

The filters were cleaned once a week 4 times.

Today I found a dead fish , but not bend, it looked in good physical & colour condition.

I removed a lot of Algae & toped up with tap water using "Pond Tap Water treatment" by Aqua Pond Care, and covered it from the sun (25deg air temp).

I could not upload a photo of my pond??

Can you please tell me how to correct any readings that are low.

Today the water readings are:-
NO3 10
No2 10
GH 14
KH 6
PH 7.2
CL2 2
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/6/2018 12:12
Re: Gold fish died #2
The nitrite reading is dangerously high. You need to change a lot of water to get that down to 0. Use a conditioner called Pond Prime in a double dose which will protect the fish from the effects of the nitrite for 24 hours between water changes.
nichos nichos
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 20/6/2018 7:44
Re: Gold fish died #3
Thanx,

Sorry, typing error No2 is 0.5.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/6/2018 19:49
Re: Gold fish died #4
That's still higher than it should be - consider using Pond Prime to protect the fish from its effects. Double dose daily until the spike in nitrite resolves back to 0.